Any more tips for an Echo/Alexa in the workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmgmgm

Established Member
Reaction score
I've had a little echo dot in the workshop for the past year, which has been very handy for things like playing the radio, timers and doing conversions "Alexa, what is 383mm in inches?".

I've recently bought some "smartlife" remote control plug sockets, which also work with Alexa. I've attached one to the chip extractor (1hp), so now I can say "Alexa turn on/off the chip extractor" when working with my planer/saws etc. Very handy. Has anyone else tried this and do you have any tips?

(If you have two, they also work as an intercom to the kitchen: "can someone put the kettle on please?")

Interesting, I had no idea Alexa could do anything other than "Alexa - play songs from "Frozen!""
Also surprised it can hear you over the noise of the extractor, but if that's the case you might try:
"Alexa - turn off the table saw and call 999!"
"Can someone in the kitchen bring me a coolbox!"

I have an alexa in the kitchen and a dot upstairs. Nothing to add, except I was very sceptical about them but they are bloody brilliant and I don't care if "they" are watching and listening to me..........

doctor Bob":e6pxwswi said:
I have an alexa in the kitchen and a dot upstairs. Nothing to add, except I was very sceptical about them but they are bloody brilliant and I don't care if "they" are watching and listening to me..........
Except for the occasional glitch, I don't believe they're doing anything until they hear the trigger word. It would be a fairly easy thing to prove, if you had the time and inclination to monitor the WiFi traffic.

No particular extra tips, but we also find the Echo Dots very useful. I hooked up my air scrubber to one in video #225 "Fan in a can" https://youtu.be/4uCLoD3qzrw and it works well. I tried a few wifi plugs and liked the TPLink "Kasa" wifi plug as it has a built-in timer function which is very useful for e.g. an air scrubber, as you can set it to run for XX minutes after you leave; with most you can only schedule something to come on at a set time, for a set period.

I also bought a couple of Echos for my Dad (93) and he loves them; question of the day, news headlines, sport, Spotify, it's all there.

P

Paul Sellers uses the Google version.
In his latest vlog he asks for some music... and it randomly chooses something where half the lyrics have to be bleeped out!!

He always says precision matters... be very precise in what you ask the electronic voice thing to play!!

" Alexa, set a reminder for "Check door glue up" for 3pm "

"Alexa, call Acme Wood suppliers" (Phone Call)

"Alexa, drop in on the kitchen" (Intercom to one of your other Echo devices)

"Alexa, add PVA Glue to my shopping list"

"Alexa, how long will it take me to get to Screwfix in Walthamstow?"

"Alexa, re-order Kreg pocket hole screws" (orders direct from Amazon for you)

"Alexa, send a message to mum" (SMS text message)

"Alexa, set a timer for 'paint recoat' for 30 minutes" (alexa will count down and say "Paint Recoat timer is up")

and my current favourite skill is called 'Burglar Deterrent'. Alexa plays noises like people are in the room/workshop - deters burglars.

Remember - you can browse 'Skills' for alexa, which are basically phone 'apps', but for you alexa.

John Brown":1nse67sb said:
doctor Bob":1nse67sb said:
Except for the occasional glitch, I don't believe they're doing anything until they hear the trigger word. It would be a fairly easy thing to prove, if you had the time and inclination to monitor the WiFi traffic.

Click here to manage your voice recordings
https://www.amazon.co.uk/alexaprivacy

and

More info here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custom ... TJFEJLYSFR

You can actually playback your voice :)

John Brown":3emsxl47 said:
Interesting, I had no idea Alexa could do anything other than "Alexa - play songs from "Frozen!""
Also surprised it can hear you over the noise of the extractor, but if that's the case you might try:

It can actually do that you know...

sammy.se":3amsgf27 said:
John Brown":3amsgf27 said:
doctor Bob":3amsgf27 said:

Click here to manage your voice recordings
https://www.amazon.co.uk/alexaprivacy

and

More info here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custom ... TJFEJLYSFR

You can actually playback your voice :)
That's interesting, but I'm not sure why you've quoted me. I know Amazon say they don't send anything to the net until the trigger word. I was referring to the people who maintain that they do, and I was saying it would be fairly easy to prove one way or another. Those people are, of course, not going to be convinced by a FAQ on Amazon...

sammy.se":2bnrnffi said:
John Brown":2bnrnffi said:

It can actually do that you know...
I have one. I know it could turn off the table saw, if I had an Alexa controlled socket(and if the WifFi reached my shed!), but can you concatenate commands like that? Or would you have to say:
"Alexa, turn off table saw"
"Alexa, call 999"

That's interesting, but I'm not sure why you've quoted me. I know Amazon say they don't send anything to the net until the trigger word. I was referring to the people who maintain that they do, and I was saying it would be fairly easy to prove one way or another. Those people are, of course, not going to be convinced by a FAQ on Amazon...

Ah, Ok - I see what you mean.

Back