Any idea

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
My mate called last night said do you want this lot.
Went down to his truck and all this was in it. :shock:
What is it i asked.
Logs what you asked for.Theres loads in a neighbours garden,cut all his trees down.Some pieces bigger than these. :shock:
So again no idea what any of it is.Any ideas anyone,or what to do with the big one. :roll:

Paul.J.

Don't know what wood it is but that big piece would make a gorgeous natural edge bowl or plate if your lathe could take it. Seems a pity to have to cut it down to anything smaller doesn't it?

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
Seems a pity to have to cut it down to anything smaller doesn't it?
Pete i agree,but i can just move it never mind lift it onto me lathe,i thinkit's too big :(
Nick Welford wrote
Get the ends sealed - I can see them splitting already .......
Nick thanks.
I am now,in between breaks,splitting the smaller :roll: pieces down the middle,and sealing.
There seems to be 3 or 4 different woods.
Paul.J.

looks like the big bit is oak to me, the smaller stuff looks like oak and beech, how thick is the large piece? either way get it sealed, looks like its started splitting already! .......oh and by the way , have fun with that lot!! :mrgreen:

Paul,

Hard to tell really, but I wondered if they might be oak and cherry in the second pic.

Dod

Any ideas anyone,or what to do with the big one. :roll:
Paul.J.[/quote]

I really think I should help you with this dilemma Paul, so after much consideration for the predicament you find yourself in I am willing to rid you of that great lump of heart ache that is causing you so much concern............................................................................................................No!... don't thank me, I accept these burdens to ease others of their suffering :D :D :D

When can I have it :twisted:

Dean :wink:

Thanks chaps.
Not sure about the Oak.
The bark is almost smooth black,and when cut there is hardly any grain pattern showing.
Still haven't a clue what the big piece is though this has a yellowy colour now that i have cut the smaller pieces,looks nice :)

WYBI wrote
how thick is the large piece?
It's about 6" thick 33" long by 23" wide.Heavy.
Paul.J.

Dean wrote
When can I have it
Dean if you think you can do something with this piece,and seeing as you are fairly local,and i'm a generous sort of fellow,you are more than welcome to it,i will only cut it up into smaller pieces.I had some more dropped off last night so have plenty of it.
Perhaps we could swap some of your newly acquired Laburnam,or Cherry :wink:
If you are serious pm me.It as all been sealed now.
Paul.J.

Perhaps we could swap some of your newly acquired Laburnam,or Cherry :wink:
If you are serious pm me.It as all been sealed now.
Paul.J.[/quote]

Sounds good to me chap,

YGPM :wink:

Collected the lump from Paul today as arranged.
I am still non the wiser to what kind of wood it is :? But can't resist wood with nice markings. :lol:
I've cut a piece off and turned a blank from the lump, perhaps this might help ID the wood.
I'll have an uneducated guess and say maybe a Conker Tree

[url=http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=6ojhxgn]http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=6ojhxgn[/url]

[url=http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=6ojgw5q]http://suprfile.com/get.php?id=6ojgw5q[/url]

( Paul, thanks for the steak, egg, chips and peas, it was very nice but there was no mushrooms and I don't like peas so can I have beans next time please with Daddies sauce :shock: :wink:

Dean

Crikey Dean.You don't waste any time.
Just glad you can make some use of it,theres plenty more here.
And thanks for the Cherry,Laburnam,Sycamore.Looking forward to doing something with them. :D

Dean wrote
( Paul, thanks for the steak, egg, chips and peas, it was very nice but there was no mushrooms and I don't like peas so can I have beans next time please with Daddies sauce
No worries Dean.We'll know next time :wink:
Paul.J.

Latest posts

Back