Any Idea What This Is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Established Member
Reaction score
Found this in a box of bolts,rivets and screws and wondered what it was.
About two and half inches, in three parts held together with a small rubber band, threaded on each "leg" and sharpened to a point.

Any ideas?

Hmmmm. Wack it into tight hole, use screw-in extension handles to spread hole and then......

Which tight hole and why completely eludes me. Hope it did not come from the hospital.

Individually I would have soldering iron tips. But the combination throws me unless it is just the means of storage.

Brian

They look like sleeving plier prongs for stretching insulation sleeving.

Pete

It's a set of prongs for a Hellermann sleeve tool. In other words Pete is right, as usual!

Hellermann sleeves were around before heatshrink, and for many applications they're still better. For example I have some at each end of the charger cable for my tablet and the wife's iPad. They are elastic enough to go right over the USB plug onto the thin cable.

You can still buy them, although the official Hellermann tongs aren't as good as some of the third party ones, as the prongs aren't quite long enough.

My set has three sizes of prongs, although I've never used anything larger than the smallest ones. The threads take nuts to hold the prongs in the moving arms.

E.

PS: Just found both the tongs and the two other sets of prongs. Pics tomorrow morning if anyone is interested.

Eric The Viking":w4oj23mc said:
It's a set of prongs for a Hellermann sleeve tool. In other words Pete is right, as usual!

Hellermann sleeves were around before heatshrink, and for many applications they're still better. For example I have some at each end of the charger cable for my tablet and the wife's iPad. They are elastic enough to go right over the USB plug onto the thin cable.

You can still buy them, although the official Hellermann tongs aren't as good as some of the third party ones, as the prongs aren't quite long enough.

My set has three sizes of prongs, although I've never used anything larger than the smallest ones. The threads take nuts to hold the prongs in the moving arms.

E.

PS: Just found both the tongs and the two other sets of prongs. Pics tomorrow morning if anyone is interested.

Eric,

That was a clear as mud - pics would help, please

Brian

Here you go Brian.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 616
1531921129988-1785064201.jpg

The white cylinder is a keeper - has three holes matching the three prong sets that it came with. You can see the nuts to hold the sets in. There's a special ultra-slippery lubricant called "Hellerine" that goes with the system, so you can slide the rubber sleeves off the prongs when they're stretched. I have a tiny bottle of it somewhere...

Attachments

• 1531921129988-1785064201.jpg
    1531921129988-1785064201.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 562
Back