Any electricians in these forums?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procell

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old ELU DB 180 lathe that has stopped working. I have traced the fault back to what looks like a small transformer on the control circuit board but cannot seem to find anywhere to get a replacement part.

Does anyone have the knowledge of what I can do to either fix or bypass this circuit board.

1aswitdh.jpg

1bswitch.jpg

1cswitch.jpg

1switch.jpg

When taking the cover off it appears to be a circuit breaker switch of some kind and has three circuit breaker contacts. One of them has a lot of burning around it and has melted the outer case.

Attachments

• 1switch.jpg
    1switch.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • 1aswitdh.jpg
    1aswitdh.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 1bswitch.jpg
    1bswitch.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 1,252
  • 1cswitch.jpg
    1cswitch.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,252
The circuit board has terminals that the NVR switch and capacitor plug into. I was wondering if I could bypass this and just wire a switch into the system and then straight to capacitor and motor?

procell":pcsmik0i said:
The circuit board has terminals that the NVR switch and capacitor plug into. I was wondering if I could bypass this and just wire a switch into the system and then straight to capacitor and motor?
a photo of the motor would help i think what you have is a bodge up but it can be sorted

At a guess I would say it is your No Volts relay.

Probably the coil has gone open circuit so it wont put power on or hold power on.

If you can send the pictures to maplins or some one similar they might be able to help. include a tape measure alongside it so they can get a good idea of its physical size. You might also find a plate which gives its rating eg. 10 amps at 230 volts ac

hope that helps

It looks like it's a 6 amp 220V relay and it will probably be part of the no volt release circuit. It should be possible to replace the switch and relay with a simple on/off switch and use an external no volt release switch, or you could bypass the internal switch completely and just use an external NVR switch.

If all else fails, you could just replace the relay!

Thanks Paul that is exactly what I was hoping someone would say. I have an NVR switch that has a 3pin socket incorporated into the body which I can plug the lathe mains lead into. Can I just use the mains lead and connect one wire to the motor and the other to the capacitor. Then the other lead from the capacitor to the motors other terminal ensuring that I get it in the right polarity obviously? The only thing then is where would I earth it to?

The circuit board is actually part of the lathes wiring loom and is shown in the exploded diagram of it that I found on the web so I think its as manufactured.

Sounds like 1 set of contacts has burnt out, if it has 3 sets of contacts (for 3 phase motors) , are they all in use? You could perhaps swap the connectors to use an adjacent set of contacts if they are unused and relay still seems to work.

I have taken a few more pics of the wiring and the burnt out relay. hopefully someone can tell me which wires to connect to which so I can bypass this PCB and go direct to the capacitor/motor
elugia.JPG

Unable to find a wiring diagram anywhere on the web.
1relay.jpg

Burnt out contact
1a relay.jpg

Underside of PCB with terminals numbered. The R1 shows a resistor on the top and has wire soldered into the PCB but no trace of a resistor so it may have vapourised. No sign of burning though.
1brelay.jpg

The following pics show wires with terminals numbered according to where they were connected.
1crelay.jpg

1drelay.jpg

1erelay.jpg

1frelay.jpg

Wires from the motor

Attachments

• 1a relay.jpg
    1a relay.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 1brelay.jpg
    1brelay.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 1crelay.jpg
    1crelay.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 1drelay.jpg
    1drelay.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,035
  • 1erelay.jpg
    1erelay.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 1frelay.jpg
    1frelay.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 1relay.jpg
    1relay.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 1,035
  • elugia.JPG
    elugia.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 1,036
Thanks for that. unfortunately as its an obsolete lathe there are only certain parts available for it now and the electrics are no longer available:(

To bypass the relay, internal switch and circuit board connect as follows -

N - 10 - 11
L - 4 - 5
13 - 14

Also connect the motor earth to incoming earth!

Bear in mind that your burnt out relay might just be a symptom of a shorted out motor winding or capacitor so if the fuse blows when you wire it up don't be surprised!

Thanks for your help Paul.

Will give it a try later. Watch out on the news for a huge power outage in the Heathrow area. :)

Back