Any advice for shipping to Europe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicguthrie

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a few members mention that they are based in France as well as other, less specific non-UK addresses and I'm asking for advice from any of those or others with experience.

I have a couple of items to send to friends, one lathe accessory of about 2kg to go to The Algarve in Portugal, and one lighter (but important) parcel for an old friend in Barcelona.

Both people have warned me of the fact that they've often had parcels simply vanish without a trace on route to them from the UK, with no warning nor any reparations ever made by the postal service. I was wondering what the forum members that have to ship to Europe regularly do to avoid these sorts of things?

Obviously I don't want to spend the earth to get the parcels there, but on the other hand speed isn't important, simply the guarantee of delivery eventually would be nice! Recompense if the parcel was lost would be ideal, especially for the lathe parts, which add up to comfortably over £150 worth.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've shipped loads of stuff all around the world over the last few years. For Europe I tend to use either RM Airsure or RM International Signed for, for up to 2kg for Europe insured for £250 its about £20 if bought online (you still have to go to the PO to send it though).

I use RM "signed for" for almost all my parcels under 2 kg (prices rise sharply above that) and I've not lost one in many years and many hundreds of parcels. I just use the local PO.

I've had to send computer components back to the manufacturer in Holland a few times (ocz) and used Royal Mail/parcel force at the local post office. Wasn't cheap (around £ 15-20 even for a small parcel)but was guaranteed to be signed for.

sjalloq":2whw1b0k said:
Just pick the service that fits (insurance is an extra available as you click through): https://www.parcel2go.com/

Their prices look good until something goes wrong, then you find you have very little recourse whether you have the extra insurance or not. Just be aware you are dealing with a middleman and your courier may not deal with you direct if something goes amiss.

Thanks for all the help, the reassurance is just what I needed. I'd been worried about the history of missing parcels etc, but with the insurance and signed for delivery, I'm now fairly certain it'll be ok.

I just hope this lathe part weighs in at a shaving under 2kg now :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back