Table Saw replacement fence advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronan James

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I upgraded my table saw back in April to a Charnwood W619 8'' Cast Iron Table Saw. Unfortunately the fence isn't up to much, its locking system makes it inconsistent and unreliable. I am looking to buy an aftermarket fence somewhere in the UK or Europe and would appreciate some recommendations. I have looked at some fences in the USA but shipping and import tax make them very expensive. Here's a link to my saw, I don't use the sliding carriage pictured. W619 8'' Cast Iron Table Saw
Thanks for any help

I believe that @Steve Maskery has a video on the subject of making your own accurate and affordable from steel angle with the promise of not needing any more metal working skills other than drilling and cutting. It's one that needs purchasing. Needs a little promo trailer for it.

I believe that @Steve Maskery has a video on the subject of making your own accurate and affordable from steel angle with the promise of not needing any more metal working skills other than drilling and cutting. It's one that needs purchasing. Needs a little promo trailer for it.
Cutting, filing, drilling and tapping 😀. Workshop Essentials #10. Works on table saws and bandsaws. Thank you for the plug, much appreciated.

Cutting, filing, drilling and tapping 😀. Workshop Essentials #10. Works on table saws and bandsaws. Thank you for the plug, much appreciated.
I just wondered Steve, have you embraced the joy of digital downloads? I literally have no way of playing a DVD in my house!

I do suggest you cut a promo for each DVD though, just 2 minute to camera talking about what each disk covers.

Hi DBT
Digital downloads are available, yes, but it's not automatic. People email me, I give them payment details, they pay me, I send the download links.
I know my site is very legacy, but my WE business has never made much of a profit and nothing at all for the last few years. If I had to pay myself minimum wage I'd have gone bust a decade ago. I'm reluctant to spend yet more money on the business, which is what revamping the site would entail.
I keep it going as a vanity project really, because I know the content is good and people who do buy it get something they value.
I've long ago come to accept that far too few people are prepared to pay for intellectual property, expecting instead to get it for "free", the real costs being borne by advertisers (which they block with ad-block software!) or by the creators themselves, as in my case. YT rules on monetisation are so onerous that one has to treat it as a full-time job to even get over the threshold. I, with all my stuff, am only about 60% there.
I make a film and a few hundred people see it. I need to have a few hundred THOUSAND seeing it. I can't see that happening, TBH.
Now if I were to film a cat playing with a ball of wool, that might be a different matter. Sigh.

Last edited:
Is this a DVD Steve, if so, unfortunately I have no way of playing DVD's. Would it be possible to buy that tutorial from u as a video file I can download...? Thanks

I've built Steves fence as well and it's excellent. I used mostly 5-6mm walled steel sections so it is rock solid.

You may need to think a little first about how to attach it to your table saw as each saw mounting and dimension can be slightly different. Mine was solved by using 2 more lengths of angle iron back to back with an offset to give a flat surface to mount the main rail onto. But then the method of mounting to different saws will vary no matter what fence system you go for, bought or home made.

If I built mine again I would only do one thing differently. The square tube I used for the rail the fence slides side to side on has a weld seam in the middle of one side. Being a weld seam it is not perfectly flat all along and varies very slightly. This weld should be the side that the plunger from the tightening mechanism pushes against. As the plunger is a variable point load it does not matter if this welded side is slightly out at any point along it.
If you get Steves instructions hopefully that will all make sense.

-Neil

i am very new on here but i like the look of this one on you tube. hopefully am allowed to post the links.

I would like to make one our of extrued aluminum there are some nice simple diy designs but overall with all the bits etc ends up at over £100 but are they are nice.

below link is a very cheap one.

I am interested in the OP question too but... I don't have the kit to DIY a fence as my drill press for example wobbles dreadfully. Given the DIY route is shut suggestions please for a fence to fit my

Charnwood W619 TIA

Back