Antlers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing antlers for sale on ebay, and have often thought about incorporating these into furniture - for us as legs, handles etc..

Are there any implication of working with antlers? What sort of cutting/shaping tools are needed, and are there varnishes that can be used for the finishing?

It stinks - literally, when worked. It's bone and creates a horrible smell and dust when sawn and sanded and the dust is highly toxic to boot.

You can stain it, varnish it and whatever you want really but tell the neighbours first!

Antler Furniture

Roger, thanks for the heads-up on that one, I guess a Trend Air-respirator is needed for this kind of work. However, after looking at that chair on the link you provided, I think it would be worth it, it's looks bloody superb!! (laughs like a child at the prospect of a new bike for xmas)

I've seen that type of Furniture in production and it isn't pleasant! Some of the pieces are 'interesting' but I guess it's personal taste really. One of the local cavers uses it in his best walking sticks and it looks spectacular when finished, although his are painted and varnished usually.

There's a whole world of material out there - Buffalo or Ram's horn, Antler, Ivory (substitute) etc. They can look beautiful when used properly in the right piece.

Don't mistake Antler for Horn by the way - one is bone and the other is basically like overgrown fingernail (and full of air and blood pockets). Bending and any reshaping is VERY limited unlike Horn which can be heated, bent and compressed.

Byron - I've made a couple of nice walking sticks with antler, its not difficult to work with, can be smoothed if needed with wet/dry paper but as others have said....it do pong. Havn't done anything with horn but I understand that it can be bent though it is a bit tricky to shape - Rob

Please take great care when cutting antlers. Harmful bacteria can be released as they are cut and cause serious respiratory illnesses. It's vital to have very good dust extraction and breathing protection.

Gill

nola,

i'm sure you know, but the antlers are shed each season by the deer, they are waste products, hence why you see hundreds for sale.

Sorry I didn't mean my post to sound negative.

I was just saying I like the look of this...

stag.jpg

Better than this...

antlerloveseat.jpg

:wink:

nola, your a hundred percent correct! I have to qualify my earlier statement that although I loved a particular chair from the makers, not all pieces in my opinion are great, the one you linked is espeically ugly.

However, I bet you couldn't sit comfortably on a stag? :lol: :lol:

ByronBlack":2svt46ei said:
Are there any implication of working with antlers? What sort of cutting/shaping tools are needed, and are there varnishes that can be used for the finishing?

Byron,
bear in mind that the interior of the antler is generally very porous - like a sponge, so restricting the use a cut one can have = you tend to need to use the outside surface more. So, for example, making buttons - just cross cutting is useless. Apart from being a bit boring.

Back