'Antique' Pine stain ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm generally not in favour of staining wood - Pine I regard as a differnt thing altogether.

Pine generally goes from bland to blander - though some of the reclaimed ceiling joists I'm using at the moment do have their moments.

I've been experimenting with various finishes/stains/varnishes that have ranged from the bright orange to grotty sludge brown.

About the best results I've got so far have been from using a Wilkinsons antique Pine dye, which admittedly is a little yellow and then applying a 50/50 coat of danish/white spirit - anyone got their own recommendations or a secret family recipe they'd like to share?

Chris.

ive tried all kinds of alchemy on pine,matching the colours to the kitchen units was a nightmare, i got it right with a tiny bit of american walnut stain,thinned down with turpentine substitute,many thin coats build up to a better shade than one deep coat!most the antique pine products seemed a bit too yellow,/yes i came back from pike fishing one day its a good job id caught some nice fish that day,shed painted them white,i came that close to making a large wooden overcoat

Back