Anti scale solutions. Heat treatment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Was buying some O1 from ground flat stock the other day and noticed there were a few different anti scale solutions available, paint on liquids, powder compounds to foil.
Does any one have any experience of using any of them? I dont mind investing a little if it saves processing time later. I have a bunch of small bits to do so would make sense to buy a small amount if its beneficial overall. A tenner etc outlay v.s belt usage and time spent soon starts to make sense.
Thanks as always for any advice.
Chris

I have no actual experience, but one method I've seen people have success with is a stainless foil bag with some paper inside. Theory is the paper ignites, burning the oxygen, which is what causes the scale.

it will take some finding but there is a post on here somewhere by the late RichardT about this. I may be lucky and able to find it. if so I will post back

Thanks Tom, that's similar to the principle of one of the methods I saw. Worth investigating.

Well Mark, that's amazing! Thank you for posting and taking the time to search up the link. Not sure I could have dug that one up blind.
Strange..it was Richard T's work along with Jim Hendrix on that big panel plane that really first got me interested in plane making (at it's most entry level basics) and here I am a good few years later, still dabbling with metal working and still being helped and inspired by Richard Tomes.
Thanks Mark.

I wonder if citric....? Hmmm... might be time for an experiment....? 😬

Have a look at this chap Clickspring, he uses Boric Acid powder in meths to coat small parts, cutters etc to prevent scaling
The video shows him making a cutter.
As a general rule gauge plate does not scale badly unless you leave it in the furnace too long, nor does it distort badly. Its one of the easiest and most forgiving materials to heat treat.

Thanks Redhunter. Boric acid seems to be cheap and easily available. Will give that a go.
Edit: Just ordered some from ebay and some soft iron wire from wires.co.uk ......website's a bit basic.... took a gamble.

Last edited:
Let us know how you get on with it, I’d be happy to decant off a small bottle of condursal and pop in the post for you to try

That's kind Tom. Thanks. With any luck I'll be firing up the fire pit at the weekend so I'll update then.
Edited because I managed to post the whole of the original in BOLD.
Also to tip my hat to Wire.co.uk and say the iron wire arrived cheap and on time. I'd recommend them on the strength of that despite the website appearing to have last been updated when the Secret Diary of Adrian Mole was still on the best seller list.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back