Another workbench question!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EBH1

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering making a new workbench and would like to use my local sawmill for the timber. I'm probably not going to stray too far from the fashionable Roubo as I like the idea of a very heavy and laminated top. My biggest dilemma is what species of wood to use. I've been offered some clean Larch and a very reasonable cost, but have no idea if it would be any good for a bench? Any advice would be greatly received...

Thanks.

Thanks, That was my worry. Is there a more suitable home grown timber without going to the expense of a hardwood? or is a quality redwood the way to go from one of the local merchants?

Thanks,
Euan

Larch would be fine. Heavier and tougher than redwood and probably cheaper.

phil.p":atn1ib2e said:
If it worries you you could always put a sacrificial layer on top of it.
I did that with my redwood bench (18mm birch ply on top) nearly 30 years ago but it was much better when I finally removed it and it's been bare redwood ever since. It'll last another 30 as long as I desist with axe, chain saw etc.
The laminated top made it a bit springy - bare wood is "deader" and better when it come to chisel use etc.

Plenty of food for thought! The larch is such a good deal it's hard to resist, but with the effort involved I would hate for it to be a wasted exercise. I'm using some great Larch on my own house just now and it planes up nicely, the Douglas Fir I've been using is even nicer, but too soft perhaps. I'd rather give the business to my local sawmill if possible.

Thanks for all the advice!
Euan

Jacob":25q5qbzm said:
phil.p":25q5qbzm said:
If it worries you you could always put a sacrificial layer on top of it.
I did that with my redwood bench (18mm birch ply on top) nearly 30 years ago but it was much better when I finally removed it and it's been bare redwood ever since. It'll last another 30 as long as I desist with axe, chain saw etc.
The laminated top made it a bit springy - bare wood is "deader" and better when it come to chisel use etc.
A valid point, though I was thinking more along the lines of hardboard or 6mm ply, which probably wouldn't give the bounce that 18mm birch would have done. I can see why that wasn't altogether successful.

I used standard softwood (i.e 2 by 4s) and that's been fine. I think the Larch would be good tbh, I'd take it.

Back