Another 'What wood is this?' question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL....that's like my track record picking company stocks. If I pick one and buy it, it's now certain to drop in price. Investors could make a fortune from me by simply shorting the market on whatever I buy :)

I think the gatepost would have very unusual decoration with all those brass nails in it. will be interesting to see what it looks like once turned. Not sure how difficult it will be to turn with the nails in place though. I know its possible to turn brass and soft metals with wood turning tools but would they try to rip out of the timber?

I've turned a few nails by accident and they just end up as a bright shiny spot of cut metal, exactly in tune with the shape of the piece. They just have a tendency to leave a slight ding in the egde of the gouge meaning a bit of a sharpening requirement.

Nice idea but these nails aren't in very far. Half maybe three quarters of an inch, add centrifugal force ..... it'll be like a nail bomb :shock:

I can see that you're all dying to know where that sign came from. What if I say Lynmouth . . . . . 1952 . . . . . water.

It's hard to tell what factors might have changed or enhanced the colour of wood as old as that. However, I toss this photo in to the thread. I was ripping some elm this morning for chair legs and it does look similar.
elm.jpg

Attachments

• elm.jpg
    elm.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 430
Ah, the famous flood eh.

Well done that man =D> Urban, Lynmouth Urban District Council. I find it a rather ordinary but poignant reminder of that day. It's gone a bit rough around the edges but it'll be a pity if it doesn't go back to where it came from all those years ago.

Trying to identify a type of wood from a picture is pretty well impossible I suppose unless there are some strong identifying features. I'll put that lump on the lathe one day and post a pic of the shavings if that'll be any help, It's not the end of the world if it remains anonymous #-o

Cheers.

swb58":1b0198mi said:
Ah, the famous flood eh.

Well done that man =D> Urban, Lynmouth Urban District Council. I find it a rather ordinary but poignant reminder of that day. It's gone a bit rough around the edges but it'll be a pity if it doesn't go back to where it came from all those years ago.

Trying to identify a type of wood from a picture is pretty well impossible I suppose unless there are some strong identifying features. I'll put that lump on the lathe one day and post a pic of the shavings if that'll be any help, It's not the end of the world if it remains anonymous #-o

Cheers.

Give it a go, but don't be surprised if it's just rank.

Back