Another what is it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerP

Established Member
Reaction score
Got this in a large job lot. At first I glance I thought it was for carving spoons then I looked more closely and could see the edge is not sharp and never has been. It's about 7 inches long.

Any ideas?

hooksmall_zpsgbfq5swz.jpg

hooksmall1_zpsulj8mamc.jpg

Any hoof scraper I've seen is either 'pick-like' or bloody sharp.

Seems wide for a boot hook.

I know, I'm being negative, but I'm doing it positively. :-D

Fairly sure it's much too wide for a boot hook or at least any I can see on a Google search.

I know, it's one of those old flat screwdrivers - that someone's used to try opening a very old paint tin ... :lol:

I don't know. I agree with NazNomad that it looks like a retractor, but a quick image search only shows all metal designs. Possibly one used by a vet - they seem to have been less bothered about cleaning their kit.

The smooth curve must be for pulling something back and the handle has a bulge so it won't be pulled out of the hand. Not a woodworker's tool. I'll check in the book on leather worker's tools.

AndyT":nshoft70 said:
I don't know. I agree with NazNomad that it looks like a retractor, but a quick image search only shows all metal designs. Possibly one used by a vet - they seem to have been less bothered about cleaning their kit.

The smooth curve must be for pulling something back and the handle has a bulge so it won't be pulled out of the hand. Not a woodworker's tool. I'll check in the book on leather worker's tools.
True and the tang also goes right through the handle and is rounded over - so it would be impossible to pull the handle off.

Doesn't look like any surgical retractor I've ever used. As previously mentioned the wooden handle would be a complete no-no. But the shape of the blade doesn't look right either. Having said that they do come in all sorts of designs for specific tasks.

Back