another view on personal safety when woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineer one

Established Member
Reaction score
as another thread has developed into a dispute about safety in the workshop, i thought to start this too.

i now have to take a tablet called WARFARIN.

because i have a heart condition, it is to thin my blood.

some everyday effects you can't imagine would not effect you

1/ a simple cut of a finger takes ages to clot and stop bleeding. :cry:

2/ fingernails are more fragile, and break more easily, often leading to above around the break. :cry:

3/ digging out a splinter is more problematical, cause of the bleeding, and i wonder these days more than i ever did about septecimia, a blood disease. :?

4/ having work done on your teeth means that you have to tell the dentist, and then, if you want an extraction that brings mega problems, and another blood test to see whether the INR (blood rate) is above a particular figure or not. :?

5/ recently had a problem with a dinged nail, and a kind of puss build up, so go to see the doc, then off to the orthopedic surgeon. he decides he will have a go at it, but it will require a full operating theatre, and me reducing my warfarin use for about a week before hand to thicken the blood up so i don't bleed to death for the sake of a spot about the size of a 4 mm screw head. :?

so you can see that i have to be a bit more careful about putting myself in situations where i might cause cuts or even (for a woodworker) splinters :roll:

like most of us i work on my own, so my practices have had to be modified from when i was younger and feeling braver.

being allergic to penicillin is bad enough, but now i have to remember to
take a card to explain my medicine, in case i have an accident anywhere.
and hope that the doctors or nurses can all read english :?

this is not meant to be a winge, just that i have had to modify my outlook and be much more careful about the risks i take with the tools i use, and let's not be stupid, even hand tools are b dangerous if properly sharpened, and not used properly.

so whereas before i just threw things around, no i inspect more carefully, and plan an escape route, plus have my medicines box nearby. :roll:

as an apprentice engineer in the 60's i as a right hander, wore my watch on my left wrist. then becoming a turner on a metal lathe, i found that was quite dangerous, since the chuck ran near to my left hand. so for the last 40 or so years i have worn the watch on my right hand. now using certain woodworking equipment more i discover neither wrist might be the correct one to have a watch on. i have to be aware of its position every time.

not to say that i drive like a snail, or that i don't occasionally ride a motor bike, but i do take a more cautious view on the risk factors.

i would guess that is what most H&S guys would if they were honest ask us to do. it seems to be the lawyers who stop you doing things.

we only have one life, and whilst you can live and work without some of your fingers, i have friends who do, it does make certain things difficult, and also adds dramatically to your cost of living.

just be more aware, it might well happen to you too.
:cry:
paul :wink:

Wow you have a lot to give you a think about when you are working, and its a good thing you are so aware.

Its good to have these posts here about safety because often we sometimes forget small things or think it will be ok for just this one time to leave a guard off or not use a push stick or whatever.

Take care and stay safe!

have to say it was not meant to be a downer, i am very lucky, many are much worse off than me, but it has reminded me of how much i once took for granted. :?

engineer one":1k3pkfsc said:
have to say it was not meant to be a downer, i am very lucky, many are much worse off than me, but it has reminded me of how much i once took for granted. :?

Paul I know exactly what you mean, my Dad died suddenly but still had so much to give, I took him for granted until he wasn't there anymore :cry:

Martin

Latest posts

Back