Another unknown??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Started turning this piece about a month ago,but it started to split open whist turning,so left it and put it to one side for a few weeks.
Checked it last Friday and the split had closed back up :shock:
So i cautiously finished it off,and it ended up like this.
There was a yellowy greeny stain on the one side when i re-started it :?: ,but this disappeared when turned.
Bowl is 6" dia x 3-1/4" high.Finished with sanding sealer and woodwax
Whatever the wood is it turned lovely almost giving me my first piece without doing any sanding.I like the colour too :D

Paul.J.

Lovely piece Paul, looks like ceramic! My guess would be Holly...famous for its green tinges :wink: when drying

Can only agree with what Graham said - lovely piece (again,I think the shape looks fantastic :D ) and most probably holly (works very well,and generally looks very white)

Andrew

Still pottering I see Paul, love the style and lightness you have got in that piece.

Thanks for the comments. :D
This was definately from a big tree,had this given me before i could put piccys on here so no piccy available,but they were big logs.
So i think Holly is out.
Paul.J.

Not necessarily, I paid my way through college doing gardening jobs and have vivid memories of having to prune a holly tree for someone that was at leas 2' acroos at the trunk. They do get big if left to their own devices, may be rare but not unknown

Pete

Bodrighy wrote
having to prune a holly tree
Thanks for that Pete.
I always thought Holly was a shrub,a bush,and just can't see it growing to those sizes,perhaps i'm wrong.
It did turn like the smaller pieces of Holly i've got,but it's a completely different colour,and grain.
Paul.J.

Hello Turnpike and welcome.
Thanks for your comments everyone :D
I have some Holly in log still,and i have found an off cut of this timber,both are completly different i will post a piccy tomorrow to compare.
Paul.J.

Here are the 2 different woods that i have used.
The one on the left is from the same batch of logs i had given me,unknown that the above bowl was turned from.
The one on the right is Holly which was given to me off my brother,his neighbour reckons it's been in their garden for about 60 years :?: :?:
The piccy shows the main trunk of the Holly which is only 8" dia.

HOLLY.

UNKNOWN.

Paul.J.

Back