more advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeetstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks, I've been asked to make one of these
climb frame .jpg
for my grand daughter. It is a climbing frame as shown, but when turned over and filled with cushions it make a sort of rocking chair. The cross pieces will be Oak rods, but I need a bit of advice re the semi circular side bits.

Plywood would be an easy option, but Id worry about the edges splintering, esp is rocking chair mode.

MDF would similarly be easy enough, but would the edges hold up to use and abuse?

I could at a stretch use flat boards and glue up in a laminate arrangement to make the sides out of soft wood. Never done this before, but cant be that hard..?

I plan to rough out the shapes with a jigsaw then mill to final shape with a router.. doe this sound like the way to go.

As usual, thanks in advance.

Could you not use ply and then get some self adhesive or iron on edge banding to prevent splintering?

I’d say you should use ply, if not you’ll have short grain at some point on the frame. Knowing how my kids jumped about on such toys I’d not be comfortable with any weak grain orientation.

Ply it us then, thanks all for input.
Graham, I've not had any experience of the iron on edging, so no idea of it capabilities, but using a small edge radius sounds like it should act to stop splintering.

Again thanks all.

Beech is traditionally used in children's toys as it doesn't splinter. However I'd second some prime baltic ply with radiused edges and a gloss varnish.

Beech is traditionally used in children's toys as it doesn't splinter. However I'd second some prime baltic ply with radiused edges and a gloss varnish.
I'm thinking painted or manyve Yacht varnished sides, and natural or oil finished Oak dowels, but as beech is mentioned above, I'll maybe use Beech in lieu of Oak.

again, thanks all

Back