Another new member!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbo614

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been lurking here for over a week. I found this forum when looking for information on a original Zyiss "Z" vice with lathe that I picked up at a car boot for £30.00. As it is "mint" from reading here it seems i got a bargain! Since then I have just been reading and I'm impressed! So many people interested in doing things properly including errm... err, um, sharpening? Which is something I need to practice with whatever the method! Some of the projects in "The last thing I made" Like today's Keepsake Box, simply stunning, and utterly beyong my current skills. I din't know people were still doing things like that.

I am actually a computer systems server support guy and programmer. But I started out in the building trade for 15 years because my Dad was cabinetmaker /joiner (or that's what he called himself!) during the war he made a lot of "boxes" but after he did a lot of Chippying. So even before starting secondary school I knew a lot about carpentry and house refurbishment so of course I chose woodwork as a subject.

But now, I am approching retirement and keeping up with computing is becoming more and more an effort. In addition no one ever gets to "see" (or understand) what you do or achieve. So I have decided to go back to my family roots (my grandfather was a cabinetmaker too) and restart woodworking. Luckily I've never put the tools down for long but it has all been DIY cupboards, wardrobes, redcoration and all the other odd jobs you do when married for nearly 45 years and have 4 children and 7 grandchildren :)

So I have posted, you would think "easy for a computer guy" but this has taken ages because I am out of my depth here! So I'll complete the intro by daring to show a picture of my last DIY cupboard (MDF with 3M pressure glue applied veneer). The plinth is not paintde/finished I was in a hurry just before Christmas.

Timbo.

Attachments

• Hall Cupboard.jpg
    Hall Cupboard.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 111
Welcome to the forum Timbo, hope to see more of your projects, especially if you can give a basic WIP of how you went about it and reasons for any particular design features or construction methods.

MattRoberts":1n6cf3hb said:
Welcome! Good looking cabinet - please do let us know how you made it (especially the curve) if you get time :)

Hi, Thanks for the welcomes, according to my mate at the pub, I didn't make it correctly :( He said I should have made dozens of horozontal formers not a few vertical ones, which is why it is a bit flat in places instead of nicely rounded. This was my first DIY attempt to make something with a round corner. I don't have a workshop, I made this on a Workmate in the spare bedroom. I have put up a couple of pictures of work in progress and of the carcass such as it is. I doesn't have a back [blush] it is just attached to the walls. The vent is there (and the aerials) because the cupboard is there to hide all my "internet comms stuff" which was previously exposed along with all its wires for all to wonder at - much to the wife's annoyance. The curve is there to stop the smaller grandchildren injuring themselves. The drawer is there as the wife's bit :)

What my pictures dont show is that I arris cut some small timber to fill in the gaps and then planed it down again to a curve. But eventually it was hard to get the veneer to bend round that sharply and smoothly because I think the shape wasn't perfect and the veneer is quite thick.

How would others have done it?

Timbo

Attachments

• IMG_20151122_102418358.jpg
    IMG_20151122_102418358.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20151122_102312561.jpg
    IMG_20151122_102312561.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 81
Welcome aboard Timbo. You'll like it here. Not a lot, but you'll like it! :mrgreen:

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Enjoy the forum. (hammer)
John

Back