Another home casting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Another home casting on a Gents JR in gunmetal

the casting block

DSCF5261_zpshpvng7ew.jpg

And now the Pen

DSCF5273-001_zps7wikkfj8.jpg

DSCF5274-001_zpsfzkeimps.jpg

Hi Dalboy,
Like the pen,I have never turned one just cant justify the out lay (kits, mandrel, press?ect,)But tonight I cut up some pen blanks drilled a 4mm hole then turned them to a pen shape and then inserted a BIC BIRO (10 for a £1) job done,cheep pen for the grand kids going back to school.
Thanks for the resin link.I could use it to save some blanks that have split.

Peter.

Thank you Brianp and Peter.

beganasatree":25yuxsw3 said:
Hi Dalboy,
Like the pen,I have never turned one just cant justify the out lay (kits, mandrel, press?ect,)But tonight I cut up some pen blanks drilled a 4mm hole then turned them to a pen shape and then inserted a BIC BIRO (10 for a £1) job done,cheep pen for the grand kids going back to school.
Thanks for the resin link.I could use it to save some blanks that have split.

Peter.
You don't need to spend that much to get going yes I agree that the price of some pen kits can put people off I get mine from a man called Dan his standard kits are not too bad. yes you will need a mandrel but once brought you have it and I have used mine for different other jobs. As for the pen press I don't own one I use a clamp to press them together with that and pieces of wood will do the job just as well. You can either drill using a drill press or the lathe.
As for blanks quite often off cuts can be used.
Regarding the resin remember that it has a shelf life and for the odd split can work out very expensive.

Have sent a PM

Back