Another Hanging Tool Cabinet & A Striking Knife

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the big pics

Hot on the heels of Phil Carpenter but hopefully not as rusticated (sorry for the pun Phil) I've had to make some more room to house my Stanleys (Does that make me a collector :D ) So I can get them out of the drawers where they are buried under other tools and give them a home more deserving :lol:

This is it..... the one on the right
527739236_c2e04fa826_o.jpg

It's only had one coat of Danish oil, another coat goes on tomorrow.

As I inferred I'm running out of places to hide my Stanleys :lol: No I'm not a collector honest :^o

This pic proves I'm not on the slope :whistle:
527739240_17a720ef2e_o.jpg

Sorry no work in progress pic, but here's some closeups of dovetails.

527739246_4cb65e91a5_o.jpg

527739250_c3fb6d157a_o.jpg

Here is a pic of a 1" chisel I sort of murdered and brough back to life in another form it's sat next to a 1/2" similar to what it originally looked like.
527739256_4be267e3b9_o.jpg

Amazing what a Tormek can do ennit?
527865011_c155586304_o.jpg

Dunno if it's the angle I ground the edge or the old Sheffield steel but god is it sharp!!! :lol:

Lovely LN.

Nah, I can only see 13 planes. You need 14 to be a collector. :wink:

Slimjim81":2yu3d1qn said:
Lovely LN.

Nah, I can only see 13 planes. You need 14 to be a collector. :wink:

Umm ! are you sure it's 14? ummm..... cos there is 15 in the cabinet you probably can't see the Stanleys No 90. 92. 93. :lol:

Errr.... then there's the ploughs, combo's multies call them what you like 7 of them in the boxes above the cabinets

Running total

+7
_____

Umm... then there are two Stanley no 4's Two number 5's (one with no handle/tote) one number 6 and a number 7... so thats another 6 making 28 :lol:

Are you sure it's not 29 before your a collector? :lol:

Wooops forgot a couple of Stanley SB thingies, I'm not counting those though cos I've never managed to get them to work proper, can anyone?
Anyway I'm not including them they are only fit for Anchors as Alf would put it. :lol:

LN - nice cabinet, puzzled with the dovetails tho......looks like you have two full tails and half tails at the sides. Pins also look wider than the tails or is it just me? - Rob

LN

Very nice indeed, you will now be allowed to join those other distinguished members who class themselves as collectors, Philly, Martin, Alf, Tony (Mod), just to mention a few.

Waka":er8yy3gl said:
LN

Very nice indeed, you will now be allowed to join those other distinguished members who class themselves as collectors, Philly, Martin, Alf, Tony (Mod), just to mention a few.

A collector if you have 29+ you say? :whistle:

Nice job LN, and you put doors on yours :D

Shultzy":2tkqt3re said:
Nice knife LN, what angle did you grind it at and is there only one bevel?

Only one bevel, the angle depends on where you take it from, it's between 32-33 deg if you read it 90deg from the cutting edge or as you read it on a tormek from the wheel but because of the acute angle it's more like 20ish from the front or pointy end of the blade

Waka":36u7ymdt said:
LN

You missed yourself off the list kind sir. :lol:

"class themselves"?! Bloomin' cheek - alas, none of my tools are posh enough for collectors. :roll:

Proper job, yer lordship, although I can't help but feel you're making the classic mistake of not allowing enough room for expansion... #-o

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the info LN. I know this sound daft, but the title of your post "... a striking knife" is that "striking" as in "a great looking" knife or that's what it is called?

Shultzy":1kl1etii said:
Thanks for the info LN. I know this sound daft, but the title of your post "... a striking knife" is that "striking" as in "a great looking" knife or that's what it is called?

Ron Hock calls um a Marking knife, that a do for me. Veritas call them striking knives, see HERE

Perhaps calling them striking knives is another Muricanism or even a canadianism ?

I noted that all use round handles, I deliberated on this for a long time but suffering from arthritis in my fingers I find a large square handle much easier to control the attack angle of the blade when marking, I know mine is not pretty but it works :)

Well I finally got round to filling it :)

540748787_12041975f8_o.jpg

Left to right top row, Stanley #7, Stanley #79.

Second row down, Stanley #6, Stanley #3.

Third row down, Stanley #5, Stanley #4.

Forth row, Stanley #271 router, (space reserved for #5 1/2) but a Lie-Nielson 073 Large Shoulder Plane occupies it’s space, Stanley #4 1/2.

Bottom row, Stanley #60 1/2, #9 1/2, #93 rabbet, #92 rabbet, #90 rabbet.

Back