Another Carved Wallet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still not 100% sure that this isn't an early April fools prank, and it's just a picture of a wallet. If it's really carved, then it's mind blowingly amazing to my eyes !!!!

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks again everybody for the kind comments.

ColeyS1, thanks you, here it is next to the original.

DSC_0093.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have any black wax/polish that covered sufficiently.

Attachments

• DSC_0093.jpg
    DSC_0093.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 55
As with many others, I had to do a double or triple take to decide if it was real or not, I particularly like where you have didn't colour the notes (I even wondered if they were a different wood inserted) and I like the darker flaps towards the centre that look like they have darkened with handling. The only (very minor) note I would make is that the buttons being the same brown as the leather seemed odd to me as you don't usually get fittings that colour and I assumed they would be brass. Black on black makes sense with the original, so I may have been tempted to put another couple of coats on the fittings to show more contrast to the leather. Excellent work generally.

Thanks Alpha-Dave, that's a very good idea. When I initially applied the finish I was very careful to 'paint' the polish around but not on the buttons, but during the buffing off process they inadvertently caught plenty so I had to give them a full coat. I had considered sanding/scraping them back to the wood but there's not a lot of meat to go at, I like your idea better. If I find time [I'm at work tomorrow and I haven't got SWMBO's card yet] I'll darken the buttons to differentiate them.

That's even more impressive now we can compare the two! Are you gonna build a display case and have them side by side ? That really is something to be proud of [WINKING FACE]

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Superb work, both the idea and the craftsmanship. Thanks for posting.

FWIW, as this is clearly going to be family heirloom, I like the above idea of having both the original and the carving (it's not REALLY wood, is it?) inside some s ort of display case- perhaps wall-mounted, like a picture?

=D>

AES

Alpha-Dave":2sp0xqvo said:
I may have been tempted to put another couple of coats on the fittings to show more contrast to the leather.

Thanks again Alpha-Dave, I did as you suggested and it is better.
Sorry about the picture quality, I'm currently concentrating on intoxication, not quite there yet.

DSC_0105.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0105.jpg
    DSC_0105.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 18
Back