Angled tenon advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on the best way to go about making an angled joint something like this.

I would need to make about 6-8 of these joints, so something easily repeatable would be nice. And it would look oh so much better if they all came out at the same angle :)
and btw, i've never made a mortise and tenon joint before EVER :shock:

The two options i've thought of are:
Option 1, an angled mortise with a straight tenon.

To do this I thought I coudl drill out the mortises at an angle on the drill press by tilting the table.
To make the tenons I thought of making an improvised mitre guage at the correct angle and rout them on the table.

Option 2, a straight mortise with an angled tenon.

Mortises, probaly drill and clean them as above (but with a level table)
Tenons, some routing again and some nifty hand saw work.

What other options are there? Should I avoind M&T altogether? I'd like to learn, but if there's a much simpler way of doing this I'd consider it.

My preference is for option 1. It seems to me that it's easier, and less work.

Opinions / commnts please.

Hi j

Another option which might lead to more accuracy would be to use loose tenons. That way you could trim the end of the angled piece of wood on a shooting board which would help to ensure that end was very precisely cut. You will then only have the mortices to worry about. If you are not very confident of being able to cut the mortices well enough, you could consider using dowels or biscuits.

Hope this helps :wink:

Paul

Where is the M&T to be used ? Internal furniture or external joinery ?

It's going to be a stand for SWMBO to but her bangles on. It'll end up looking like a kind of inverted christmas tree I hope :)

I'd favour option 2 because it is easier to chop out a mortise accurately which is square to the surface than at an angle. Working an angled mortise shouldn't be so much of a problem providing your marking out is accurate. If in doubt you could always resort to dowels a Paul suggests.

Scrit

go for the easy option everytime
dowels are perfectly good joinery practice and strong enough for what you are doing .
biscuits would be my second option

Back