And the Darwin Award goes to....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Result of my own antics at the surface planer June this year.
Only brief instruction on how to use the planer, the watching of tutorial videos ( yea right !!! ).
The reason I joined the forum to learn how to use my machines properly.

I submit myself for the "Darwin Award"

Twenty hours at hospital.
No feeling in top of ring and middle finger of left hand.
Middle finger now has 45 degree chamfer.
Picture printed and attached to workshop wall as a reminder.

May I be the first to say.....Ouch! I did something similar with a thumb when i was 17, they folded it back and wrapped it at the hozzy. It grew back and there isn't even a scar now.

KevM":r2j8mhlx said:
This deliberate example of how not to use a tablesaw made me feel quite queasy, spooling through to ~4m30s it's amazing he didn't sustain an injury.
Yes, scary stuff. How far was his hand from the blade ? less than half an inch ?
What struck me was; would I trust someone's advice if they're so stupid to allow themselves such a near miss ?

Rhossydd":l6x8mr0t said:
KevM":l6x8mr0t said:
This deliberate example of how not to use a tablesaw made me feel quite queasy, spooling through to ~4m30s it's amazing he didn't sustain an injury.
Yes, scary stuff. How far was his hand from the blade ? less than half an inch ?
What struck me was; would I trust someone's advice if they're so stupid to allow themselves such a near miss ?

Totally agree, it's always valuable to illustrate how things can go wrong - but a skilled practitioner doesn't need to do it in such an uncontrolled risky fashion. I was sent the link courtesy of the Fine Woodworking site http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/110 ... f-kickback , from the comments it seems that their readers' reactions to the video is similar. There's one discussion of the Radial Arm Saw - it was first introduced to me, rightly or wrongly, as the Radical Harm Saw - after that I never felt too inclined to use one...

Back