Alan Lacer Skew - BIG

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
So one thing I’ve never really been 100% comfortable with has been my skew work - Having watched Alan Lancer demonstrate on several YT recorded ’club night’ sessions I decided to give his design of tool a go.

A while ago I picked up a number of Record HSS larges scrappers new as part of a clearance sale so I decided to grind one of them into a skew. One of the features of Alan’s design is the shear scale - 1 3/8” wide by 3/8” thick. The scraper was pretty much spot on but I have spent a good while stood at the grinder today!

anyway, nice new tool now and I’ve had a quick play on a bit of builders’ pine and I’m happy bunny. Peeling cuts off the straight portion were really ease, planing was fine amd rolling a couple of beads were much less ‘twitchy‘ than I remember with previous tools. It may be that we’re still very much in our honeymoon period but initial signs and confidence is good!

I didn’t do any wip photos Im afra9d but you’ve all seen a square end scraper which was the start point.

the other tool in photo was my Sorby 3/4” skew for comparison.

I’ll let you know how it goes!

simon

5E79BAFC-836A-4359-ACE1-E9CE92238316.jpeg
D2EBA62B-573D-4134-95FC-3415ADC5E384.jpeg

Attachments

• 5A919751-E446-424F-B251-340CED6F35EA.jpeg
    5A919751-E446-424F-B251-340CED6F35EA.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 1BBFA260-48C7-4D40-8C71-CD87CDCCDB66.jpeg
    1BBFA260-48C7-4D40-8C71-CD87CDCCDB66.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 31
  • CD3EC418-3544-4FE1-B8F8-E6848BB31F21.jpeg
    CD3EC418-3544-4FE1-B8F8-E6848BB31F21.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi Simon
I know what you mean about skew chisels...I picked up a Sorby 1” oval job....dodgy to start with but after a sharpen I got to grips with it...it peels off shavings like apples in...unless you do get a catch....then it’s DUCK!!
I thought about getting a 3/4 and grinding curved... got my eyes on one on eBay..how do you grind the curve?
Been up to much on the lathe?

how do you grind the curve?

Have a look at Alan’s videos on YT and the picture - the profile is straight for first 1/4 or 1/3rd and then the curve kicks in. Essentially you grind the profile with the tool at 90 deg to the wheel, then set the rest to grind the bevels flipping it over to keep the cutting edge in the centre.

Been up to much on the lathe?

I did the burnt ‘New Growth‘ piece I posted on here recently - I think I may do some more to develop that ideal. I’m working on a couple of others that may take quite some time to come to fruition - the turning is done but that’s only 5% of the time in the piece.

How are you doing?

S

I’m doing ok so far.... I’ve turned 5 of those ladies with hats....all different so very original. Due for selling them week after next...used some old r India wood for a couple of hats....very nice stuff too.i might be able to get some block for you...not big but maybe usable.
I did manage to pick up a Robert Sorby deluxe grinding fixture....£40. ie 447 Just may need a wider wheel...I only have a Rutland 20mm twin wheel grinder.

Steve

Simon - presume you mean Alan Lacer.
IIRC Dave Regester also advocated the same grind with the first 1/4 to 1/3 being straight. That was some thirty years ago.

I tried a rounded grind but didn't see any particular advantage to it. For beads i find a homemade 10mm round bar skew the easiest. It's surprising how much easier it it roll a round bar. I made it about three years ago when the HSS was about £2.80 It's probably twice that now.

Last edited:
A few of mine - the bars were less than £3 when I bought them and the small bar was £4 for ten. The flat bar about a fiver iirc. and the odd looking tool is a broken drill bit inserted into a a piece of BMS.

Attachments

• DSCF0486.JPG
    DSCF0486.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 27
A few of mine - the bars were less than £3 when I bought them and the small bar was £4 for ten. The flat bar about a fiver iirc. and the odd looking tool is a broken drill bit inserted into a a piece of BMS.
Nice!
Do you just do the amazon or ebay search, or have you a good supplier you use?
Cheers
Greg

Back