And the Darwin Award goes to....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nev":388fyeam said:
I think he only qualifies for silver - the table saw wasn't running :) Think how much quicker it'd be!

The thing that wasn't rotating was the riving knife, I thought the same at first.

I thought the whole point of the Darwin awards was that the person was so stupid that by their actions they removed themselves from the gene pool (thus evolution is correctly served).

This guy (although clearly stupid) is rather still alive is he not??

He could have done it using a router and a lathe box with a similar pivot system - much safer
Matt

Random Orbital Bob":38kzwzsf said:
I thought the whole point of the Darwin awards was that the person was so stupid that by their actions they removed themselves from the gene pool (thus evolution is correctly served).

This guy (although clearly stupid) is rather still alive is he not??

Point of order: Darwin awards need not always be posthumous. I believe one recipient attempted to throw a firework from a car window, forgetting the step of opening it first and so dropping it in his lap in the resulting panic. You can figure why this qualified him !

Worth an honourable mention at the very least. He still has fingers AND teeth?
I guess if he is happy working like that then leave him to it, but it is waaaaay outside my comfort zone thats for sure.

Remember kids, don't try this at home!

There is nothing in Darwin's theory about intelligence. Only survival of the fittest, but in the sense of a fit to the environment. Evolution has no goals, so it's hard to serve evolution.

I have self moderated this post, realizing my sense of humour is not to everyone's taste.
On reflection it did not truly express who I am and what I am about.

However, in my opinion the guy in the video is heading for a fall and one day his antics at the table saw will catch up with him and probably bite him very very hard.

n0legs

Looking through the comments here, I think we can see why the US is the most powerful country on the planet and the UK is a second rate, and falling non-entity.

RED-NECKS RULE (if but for a short time). (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

RossJarvis":8v891b56 said:
Looking through the comments here, I think we can see why the US is the most powerful country on the planet and the UK is a second rate, and falling non-entity.

RED-NECKS RULE (if but for a short time). (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

I completely agree, whatever it takes to get the job done. It seems we have become a nation of 'safety officers' who poke fun at anyone who does things not quite by 'the book'.

lincs1963":lnenkf2e said:
I completely agree,whatever it takes to get the job done. It seems we have become a nation of 'safety officers' who poke fun at anyone who does things not quite by 'the book'.

I don't wish to turn this into an argument but I have to comment on that line.

I've seen the result of someone doing "whatever it takes to get the job done". I also saw the look on his wife's when we told her Bert wouldn't be coming home that night, or ever again. It's something that haunts me to this day 20 years down the road.

Becoming a nation of safety officers is a good thing, look at our nations industrial history and the deaths we have had over the years. Miners killed, steel workers killed, construction workers killed. These people went to work to earn a living, not to stop living.

My biggest personal issue with Mr Swan is he videos everything he does and posts it in an environment which is easily accessed.
He may have years and years under his belt of working with a table saw, but someone else watching the video and thinking of copying him may not have a clue.
It looks dangerous and to quote a HSE Inspector " If it looks dangerous it probably is".
I consulted a book I have by Kelly Mehler about the table saw. He shows what a versatile machine it is and how to use it safely. He is an American.
I looked up how to make a wooden ball, the lathe seems to be the machine of choice.
Now you may say the lathe isn't exactly safe and many might agree. I found a guy called Angus Pitt on youtube, in his video he turns a 300mm ball weighing approx 12kg.
He looks to be in total control, others may be able to comment better as I'm only just beginning to learn how to use the lathe.
The comparison between the lathe and table saw is easily made, one looks like it's the right tool for the job and the other doesn't.
My lady has only a passing interest in my hobby but is a safety driven girl because of her place of work. I showed her both videos, the table saw video received the comment " I hope you're not going to try that ", the lathe video comment was " wow ".

Safety please and more of it.
Stupid people doing stupid dangerous things, no thanks. I'd rather be living in an under developed catch up playing 2nd rate country any day.

n0legs":1ewchcwt said:
Dear Santa,
I've been a really good boy this year and have done loads and loads for mummy, daddy and granny.
I've brushed my teeth every morning and night.
Said my prayers at bedtime.
Helped old people across the road.
The only thing I want this year is for Izzy Swan ( WTF kind of name is that ????) to have a really really horrible, finger cutting, arm amputating, skull splitting accident on his table saw.
Not only would this bring me great pleasure it would also stop encouraging people to do silly things with power tools.

Love and kisses

N0legs

I appreciate the desire to make a point but I cringe at anyone wishing harm to befall another. Karma is a two way street

aideym":2d7qxz8d said:
I appreciate the desire to make a point but I cringe at anyone wishing harm to befall another. Karma is a two way street

I accept your criticism. I was harsh with that post trying to make light of the matter and I apologise for any offence made.

Latest posts

Back