Anant plane at R*tl&nds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LocalOak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

just seen this at Rutlands (and yes I know all the provisos about them) and seemed like an interesting option for someone who wants a bullnose/rabbet/chisel plane and hasn't the budget for the usual suspects.

Anyone ever used one?

Toby

Based on the Anant dado plane I bought a coupla years ago, you should probably assume you'll have to lap the sides square to the sole at the very least. I'd expect the blade to be so much sliced cheese on previous experience and the adjuster might well be more a drawback than a help. Probably a bit of paint to remove from all the wrong places, such as the blade bed, and a certain amount of filing to remove nasty painful edges. But at 20 quid might actually be worth the aggro, bullnose planes not exactly being found under every rock.

Cheers, Alf

Well at least if its rubbish, the after sales service will be impeccable :shock: :^o [-X

matthewwh":2ikrpq6t said:
Can it be any old rock that we store our shoulder planes under or would a natural sharpening stone be better?
Purely personal preference. Surprised you're not advocating storage under abrasive sheets rather than any sort of sharpening stone though... :wink: But to clarify, I was referring in old rust hunting terms to the scarcity of quality cheap (i.e. secondhand) bullnose planes on the open market.

At twenty quid it's got to be worth a punt. ?Change the cutter, ?fettle it to within an inch of it's life - and give it to Tom as an Xmas pressie :ho2 :ho2 :ho2

I succumbed and bought one a few years ago in an earlier sale.

Nasty, rough thing. Poorly fettled castings. Lots of slop in the adjuster. The pins that align the front seem to be old nails.

After a lot of work with wet and dry and a file for the rough bits, it does work, reasonably well - but there's no pleasure in it all. It still looks cheap. (And 50 quid would be an outrageous price!)

I prefer my similarly cheap Stanley 75 - currenly £19.95 at Axminster!

Andy

There's a couple of Record 077As on eBay - a much better bet. I got mine for about £25 and treated it to a Ray Iles cutter - it's a peach. Works well as a chisel plane, too.

wait for those chineese jobies matthew is importing - got to be better than the anant - I looked at an anant no.6 and even i could tell it was a steaming pile of poop.

So the consensus seems to be cheap cr*p is still cr*p

Am definitely curious about Matthew's cheap Chinese jobbies, I own one decent plane and will never be able to justify the cost of a whole suite.

LocalOak":3d6j6i0a said:
So the consensus seems to be cheap cr*p is still cr*p

Am definitely curious about Matthew's cheap Chinese jobbies, I own one decent plane and will never be able to justify the cost of a whole suite.

I understand that these are some chinese factory's copies of the early stanleys - possibly with aftermarket blades - mathew said he was going to update us via his blog when this was last discussed - tho theres nowt on there about them yet

you'll get a stanley 75 for about the same price, Anant are a joke don't even think about it

my personal opinion of course :)

I am of the opinion that bull nose rebates are of spectacularly limited application - so you may as well buy the cheapest possible ;-)

I own a Record #077a (*) and have used it once.

BugBear

(*) and a Stanley #90J - yech

bugbear":31jvwx9r said:
I am of the opinion that bull nose rebates are of spectacularly limited application - so you may as well buy the cheapest possible ;-)

Another option is to buy a Clifton #3110 (or second-hand Record #311) and get three planes for the price of one - a bull nose plane, a chisel plane and a shoulder plane

Clifton3110.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

bugbear":1ltxd80k said:
Well there is that... (Preston here - used lots of times, but not actually for its bullnosed-ness)

I was thinking you know the Anant's are pretty bad when folks are talking up the Stanley #75; a plane generally condemned by all who have ever owned one.

Cheers, Alf

My name is Boz and I... well.... um... er... own a....

Stanley #75 [shudder].

There, I've said it. It was inherited. Honest. And yes, I've failed to ever get it to do anything, other than make me very frustrated. So I condemn it utterly as well.

Boz

The only sensible suggestion I've seen for it is this from The Woodworker, but I don't know anyone who's done it and whether it does then make a useful tool of not:

912.jpg

I am sure that when Rutlands started to sell the Anant planes one of the woodworking magazines did an article on them. The author bought the bull nosed and the bench plane and wrote up how difficult it was to get them working. I do not have the article anymore, but I seem to recall that he spent 2 days fettling it, including taking it to an engineering friend to have the bottom ground flat and square.

At the end of all of this his view was that he would have been better off buying an old second hand sa it still did not work very well.

Back