An upcoming trip to Japan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I am fortunate enough to be visiting Japan (Tokyo and Kyoto ) in a few months time and unlike my previous trips which were for business this one is for pleasure so I can arrange the itinerary

Just looking for suggestions of visits that can be arranged to some of the fine tool makers that are there or high end tool stores

I have a friend who is Japanese so corresponding with places to arrange visits won't be an issue it's just knowing where to go is our first challenge

Any thoughts anyone?

thanks in advance

If you go onto Michael Huntley's web site - he is an expert on Japanese tools etc.

Rod

Hi Jacob, this will be my 10th or so visit and each time my business hosts have done the temples etc to death with me so this time it's chisel makers, plane makers etc for me this time ;)

I've been to Japan a few times, both for work and pleasure. On one business trip, as a detour from visiting a Kubota plant at Utsunomia, my hosts took me on an excursion to Nikko, where there is plenty to see on the wooden temple front, but also seems to be a bit of a centre for wood crafts - I have a turned bowl they they bought for me as a souvenir. There is also a good waterfall to see, which the Japanese, in the way only they would, have constructed a viewing platform and a lift to get to it ! Good all round day out.

As a piece of possibly useful meta-information; over in the world of the knife enthusiasts, the consensus is that nowadays you won't find anything good to buy by going to Japan in person.

The sellers that are set up for retail already sell on the internet, and for the same prices as locally.

The makers in the back streets (metaphorically) don't sell on the 'net, and they don't sell to tourists either.

That being said, knife enthusiasts love going to the knife making parts of Japan, to watch, soak up and enjoy.

But not to hunt bargains or rarities to buy.

BugBear

Back