Members can turn off viewing Ads!

An unanswered question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've posted this before, but never got an answer - why do you bend more nails with a dirty/rusty faced hammer than with a nice shiny clean one? Experience tells me this is correct.......................but why?

SammyQ

Established Member
Reaction score
Coefficient of friction is greater in a manky old nail swatter, so contact time is greater in the impact, leading to increased transference of kinetic energy from hammer head to nail head, leads to increased thermal energy of nail head, giving increased energy for bond formation between nail and hammer, realised at work face as hammer 'sticking' to nail and 'dragging' it down as the stroke progresses, equals bent nail......or so several, overweight, ancient, shoe-makers once told me......

:D

Sam

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
SammyQ":co9re4vk said:
Coefficient of friction is greater in a manky old nail swatter, so contact time is greater in the impact, leading to increased transference of kinetic energy from hammer head to nail head, leads to increased thermal energy of nail head, giving increased energy for bond formation between nail and hammer, realised at work face as hammer 'sticking' to nail and 'dragging' it down as the stroke progresses, equals bent nail......or so several, overweight, ancient, shoe-makers once told me...... :D Sam
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Are they bells I hear ringing ( or just tinitus? ) :wink:

Bob

Noggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sammy, that was either eloquent genius or complete horlicks, but whichever it was, I enjoyed it.

lincs1963

Established Member
Reaction score
phil.p":1gzh4mlt said:
:D ......so if I put a mirror polish on my ancient Estwing, I won't bend any nails?
You will definitely bend less nails. hammer face should be clean, not polished though. a good rub with 180 grit does the trick. Many framing hammers now come with a milled face to grip the nail head so certainly more than one school of thought on this!

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
lincs1963":33lsxerg said:
phil.p":33lsxerg said:
:D ......so if I put a mirror polish on my ancient Estwing, I won't bend any nails?
You will definitely bend less nails. hammer face should be clean, not polished though. a good rub with 180 grit does the trick. Many framing hammers now come with a milled face to grip the nail head so certainly more than one school of thought on this!
Yes, if it's polished it needs roughing up a bit to stop it slipping on the nail head.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Might be more to do with why the hammer was manky in the first place, was it because no one could get on with using it?

Possibly because its balance or proportions are off?

I have found that over the years I have selected my preferred 'go to' hammers for use in any form of construction, these get maintained as any other tool.

Others just got consigned to the coal shed, tractor barn, or wherever, to be used when there might be a need to belt something or of no concern if left in a field for a couple of weeks.

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
phil.p":2002woik said:
My estwings don't get polished but I do emery the business ends occasionally. Best hammers I've ever owned btw!

I rarely bend nails nowadays, (paslode nailgun sees to that :wink: )

Bob

SammyQ

Established Member
Reaction score
"Sammy, that was either eloquent genius or complete horlicks, but whichever it was, I enjoyed it."

I'd tell you Noggsy, but then I'd have to kill you......however you do get to chose between a rusty and a clean....... :D

Sam

PS..."several, overweight, ancient, shoe-makers ".....= "cobblers" :D

Lons

Established Member
Reaction score
phil.p":3rvtr4qu said:
:D I'm not actually thinking to polish my Estwing! Phil.
:lol: :lol: I sort of guessed that - but stranger things have happened :lol: :lol:

Latest posts