An Oak wokbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBoyd

Established Member
Reaction score
I am very fortunate in have a whole stack of Oak given to me in 12cm x12cm pieces and lots of 12 x 6cm big heavy stuff.

Now I need a second workbench - and I have enough oak to make that with plenty left.

I hardly use oak in the furniture I make for the house so it's going to take me time to use it up.

But the question is oak stable enough to make to workbench top with it ? or am I asking for trouble, you don't often see people building workbenches tops from oak (beech and maple seem most popular) in the mags/websites/here is it stable enough?

Any advice

Thanks

AndyBoyd":1ak31xeo said:
But the question is oak stable enough to make to workbench top with it ? or am I asking for trouble, you don't often see people building workbenches tops from oak (beech and maple seem most popular) in the mags/websites/here is it stable enough?

It's stable, but IMHO the open pores don't seem ideal.

For the same reason, ash is not an ideal choice.

However, you could use exploit the oak as the "main" substance of the top, and put a (e.g.) 1/2 beech skin on.

You'd need to check the shrinkage figures for compatibility.

BugBear

It should be stable enough, it's usually cost that's the reason it loses out compared to beech. Plus with the right finish the pores/grain shouldn't be a problem

you do not see oak used for bench tops because of the tannins it will make your tools go black and it also reacts with other woods!

wodbutcher

I can remember my woodworking teacher at school telling us that one of the reasons beech was the standard wood for bench tops was its resistance to shedding splinters. This was highly relevant to the school woodwork shop where all the benches were subject to violent misuse everyday!

I reckon a coarser wood like oak could shed splinters if it got cut up. Certainly our oak desk tops used to become friable when subjected to freehand carving with compass points, penknives, etc....!

I agree with the above; it'll do nicely for the framework but you'd be better off with something like beech for the top.

Most important thing, though, is that you keep us updated with progress!! :wink: :)

Back