An Apple a day

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Actually got a chance to get in the shed again today (lincoln tomorrow) :lol: :lol:
Managed to get these 2 items made this afternoon. The pen was ordered by a fellow club member so had to get it ready for Wednesday, and the "Pot" is for 'er indoors' it is the third one I have made for her, she uses them for keeping thins tike sugar and salt in as they keep it nice and dry. The pen is finished in carnauba wax and the pot in foodsafe oil.

Applepen.jpg
applepenopen.jpg

pot1.jpg
pot2.jpg
pot3.jpg
pot4.jpg

the Apple pot is 8" tall and 3 1/2" diameter
Sorry the photos aren't up to the usual standard but they were done in a hurry.

Hope you like them

Malcolm

Nice storage pot, Malcolm. Do you find you can get an airtight seal with wood? I was thinking of making myself some spice & herb pots, but am still wondering how to make them airtight.

tekno.mage

Hi guys

The pot was turned initially between centers until a tenon was formed on one end then it was held in the chuck for the rest of the turning. First the lid was shaped and finished then parted off and the inside of the lid finished by hand. The inside was then holloed out starting with a 10mm drill drilled down to the depth that I required. Then hollowed out with a combination of an Ashley Isles Len Grantham hollowing tool and a box scraper, final sanded and finished in foodsafe oil.
My wife has been using some of these pots for several years for keeping various types of sugar in and they have never once gone damp. They purely rely on a snug fitting lid.
Hope that answers all the questions :D :D

Malcolm

Very nice pieces Malcolm.

The pen somehow looks "right" although there is no great figure or distinctive feature in the wood.

The box is really good, combines beauty with great functionality.

Regards,

Mike C

Back