An Alternative to the 'expensive' one .. (FTAO :LOZ etc)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone, a lot of food for thought. The axminster grinder i posted has both a wet wheel that takes the tormek jigs and has a 6 inch white wheel that i can change for a ruby wheel or even a Microcrystalline wheel which after doing some reading sounds brilliant.

The Axminster grinder is only 64 pounds and seems to do everything everyone is talking about. The only thing it won't have is a leather wheel. Has anyone tried or bought the Axminster one?

By the way i appreciate all the input. It's hard to know what is the right thing to do some times when there is so much hype about different products.

Thanks again
Crazylilting

A couple of observations that may help, or just maybe add more confusion.

I fitted a Blue Ceramic Wheelway back in May 2005.

In comparison with a standard white wheel I find it cuts much cooler and faster, the latter attribute has mixed implications for someone new to sharpening,
1. because it cuts freer it does not heat the tool steel as much and hence reduces the risk of blueing.
2. this freer cutting can remove metal rapidly and may lead to rapid distortion of the tool profile if mistakes are made.

Edit: 80% of my sharpening is done on the standard white wheel.

Regarding the Leather stropping wheels I found them to be of very little use for turning tools on slow speed machines, they take a fair tine to hone a surface and it is very easy to distort the cutting edge on gouges so that although the edge is sharp the bevel profile is incorrect for correct presentation to the wood. (Rounding over of the edge)

I have found that some MDF discs run at normal lathe speeds are far more effective for polishing my turning tools. Link1 Link2 Link3

Those MDF Wheels look great!!! I will give them a go. And Jenx, yes, the Axminster grinder does take the Tormek jigs and runs at 120 RPM's. It obviously doesn't look as well built but i think I'll give it a go as i've spent far to much on tools this month with the two lathes and a couple of other bits i needed to replace from a resent theft.

I think i may stick with the white wheel it has on it for now and do some further reading on the subject.

I have still yet to get a three phase converter as well before the move. Thanks for all your help everyone.

I've just acquired a Tormek SuperGring 2000 and several jigs, including the gouge jig, at a price I couldn't refuse. Remembering what I'd already said in this thread, I thought I'd better come clean and admit it! I haven't used it yet, and may decide not to keep it, but I'm going to give it a good try out and see whether I change my mind. I'll report back if I do.

Bob

Well Bob i have to say that i am very happy with mine now after finally getting to use the tools.The edge does seem to last longer and am also getting a lot better finish with it.
I am also getting to use it quicker,just a quick turn on the wheel and it's done,Literaly seconds.
I have also managed to acquire all the jigs needed at a very good price from Ebay from one of our well known turners :D

I picked up a record grinder on offer for £30 at Yandles a year ago and am convinced that the only problem that I have is my ability to use it and my turning skills. I agree with Tam that if you used the most expensive grinder going then honed the gouge up on a diamond stone then stropped it on a leather (believe me there are people who do this) the edge wouldn't last much longer. A couple of seonds every now and then obn a grinder is all it takes to just keep the edge up a bit. You don't need to spend a fortune to do this surely? My time is better spent oning my skills rather than my tools. Different for carving or flat work I agree.

Pete

It's some time since my views on Wet Grinding of Turning Tools were published, I guess some may not have seen them. For those interested they are HERE in PDF form

I am not convinced that many users of wet machines achieving superior cutting edge results are not just benefiting from the lack of overheating of the edge on a dry grinder.
Like turning skills, sharpening skills take time to perfect, for new starters to turning this can lead to a lot of frustration in the 'chicken and egg stakes'.

As Tam and Pete say, money spent on learning the basics in both disciplines is IMO better spent than buying all that glitters, but then I am a natural skinflint who expects a lot for his pocket money.

Jenx":qll8dszm said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Have to say, in a similar vein, I'm 'fine chuffed' with my cheapie Clark 6" machine, that replaced the VibroMonster recently.

A lot of the happyness is courtesy of the trugrind too.. good little gizmo, that thing. 8)
I'd imagine the wolverine one is good too. :D :D :D :D

Watza trugrind Jenx :wink: :wink: :?:

Back