American type table saw...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pswallace

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, In the next few months I will be investing in my first workshop style table saw. I do have a de-walt 745 at the min' but as you can imagine I could do with something with a bit more capacity .I can't really afford to spend more than £700-£800.
I also have a friend moving back from America in a few months and he has very kindly offered to bring one home with him as they are shipping a large container with all their belongings .
I have been thinking of going for what the yanks used to call contractor saws but they are very much different than what
they were ten or fifteen years ago!
I have been looking at a grizzly granite top one with a bysimeer style fence thats priced around $1150, does anyone know ant thing about these sort of saws?
Thanks Phil.

pswallace":2udyp6v9 said:
Hi all, In the next few months I will be investing in my first workshop style table saw. I do have a de-walt 745 at the min' but as you can imagine I could do with something with a bit more capacity .I can't really afford to spend more than £700-£800.
I also have a friend moving back from America in a few months and he has very kindly offered to bring one home with him as they are shipping a large container with all their belongings .
I have been thinking of going for what the yanks used to call contractor saws but they are very much different than what
they were ten or fifteen years ago!
I have been looking at a grizzly granite top one with a bysimeer style fence thats priced around $1150, does anyone know ant thing about these sort of saws?
Thanks Phil.

Not sure about granite for a table saw, a bit brittle I would think. I have a Xcaliber Contractor saw from Woodford http://woodfordwm.co.uk/acatalog/info_173.html and they do the job really well. If you can spend more then a cabinet saw is more powerful and offers better extraction and construction. I don't like the full length fence, preferring a short fence to prevent the blade binding and kickback but you can fit a add on to the Beismayer fence to make it safer. You should also make sure it has a proper riving knife as many US saws do not.

Oh and don't forget to get a 220v saw not a 110v one or you will need a large transformer

The only saw I'd import is the Sawstop. There is no reason to import anything else from the states table saw wise.

The nearest thing we have to a trad American saw is the Xcalibur from Woodford. Yes it's a bit above your budget but it is rock solid. I have the older model and it has never let me down. Its few shortcomings are easily dealt with and the newer replacement even has those sorted. I can't believe that you could import a better saw from the US for the price.
I agree about the SawStop, but that technology is the last line of defence, not the first. Learn to use a tablesaw properly and you don't need the gizmos. As it happens, I think it looks like a very a good saw, but despite the electronics, not because of them.
S

Steve Maskery":3c7la9bx said:
I agree about the SawStop, but that technology is the last line of defence, not the first. Learn to use a tablesaw properly and you don't need the gizmos. As it happens, I think it looks like a very a good saw, but despite the electronics, not because of them.
S

Yeah I agree with that, there are still ways to hurt yourself it doesn't protect against. But still be nice to have it just encase!

Back