American terms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Benchwayze":14f5qiyf said:
I thought the old English word 'tote' meant to carry, (a verb) rather than as noun, for a handle. I.e., it's a verb and not a noun, (except for a method of placing a bet.)
However, it has been pointed out elsewhere on this forum, that language evolves, often due to popular usage.

There are also homonyms and homophones. The etymology of "rose" might be a bit interesting due to this.

BugBear

What I meant was 'Tote' meaning 'The Tote' (noun), An alternative means of betting to the Licensed Betting Office, and tote, (verb) meaning to carry something.
I can think of a few 'roses' (One in particular whom I remember with great fondness! :wink: ) and of course rows, which sounds like rows, rose, rose and Rose.
Hmmm. Very interesting. :mrgreen:

I think(without bothering to check), that "Tote" in betting context was an abreviation of "Totalizer/Totaliser".
Woodrow Wyatt, encountered him once. What a rude man!

OK, I had to look it up. Turns out it was short for "Totalisator".

My wife fell and broke her hip just after I posted that last.
So right now I am not too bothered either way.
However, no offence was intended all the same.

Laters

Right, here goes. I owe the forum a total and unreserved apology for being very rude and using some very inappropriate swear words in this thread. Its not like me at all, i'm usually very mild mannered, all I can say is I had a VERY bad day at work and let things get to me and it made me a crabby old fart. Again I apologize to everyone concerned and hope I may be forgiven. I have found this forum a great welcoming group of lovely people, and would be grateful of the opportunity to carry on as a member. :oops: :oops: #-o

Dangermouse":3bhbzrjr said:
Right, here goes. I owe the forum a total and unreserved apology for being very rude and using some very inappropriate swear words in this thread. Its not like me at all, i'm usually very mild mannered, all I can say is I had a VERY bad day at work and let things get to me and it made me a crabby old fart. Again I apologize to everyone concerned and hope I may be forgiven. I have found this forum a great welcoming group of lovely people, and would be grateful of the opportunity to carry on as a member. :oops: :oops: #-o

Excellent news!

May I be the second to welcome you back - I was a bit surprised by what happened and hoped that we weren't about to lose another lively contributor, so I'm glad you said that. Let's talk about woodworking!

Welcome back DM, as I was the one that took the worst of your bile I would like you to know there are no hard feelings harboured-btw, your teas gone cold ;)

That's very good news, Dangermouse. I felt pretty bad because I thought that you may have found my post offending. If that was the case, I want to excuse myself since that wasn't my intention at all.

Cheers
Klaus

Klaus Kretschmar":2d6zu6uf said:
That's very good news, Dangermouse. I felt pretty bad because I thought that you may have found my post offending. If that was the case, I want to excuse myself since that wasn't my intention at all.

Cheers
Klaus

Think nothing of it Klaus, just me being a twit .

barkwindjammer":230rkw9y said:
Welcome back DM, as I was the one that took the worst of your bile I would like you to know there are no hard feelings harboured-btw, your teas gone cold ;)

Thanks for being so understanding. now I'll have to put the kettle on again !!!! (hammer)

Back