American terms

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I've noticed lately in the forum and elsewhere, the use of the word Tote in place of the word Handle or Rear Handle. This is a bloody Americanism and such is creeping into our vocabulary more and more. I HATE it with a passion, even more than Jacob has for hand honing! :shock:
So, do we have to always follow the ex-colonies over the pond or can we please keep our own words and phrases which are time honoured and BRITISH !!!!!! :twisted: :evil:

I agree, after all it is a handle. Like other tools such as saws, chisels, hammers etc they all come with handles - just like planes. You don't say i held the chisel by it's tote (hammer)

Dangermouse":3nw4e5wi said:
I've noticed lately in the forum and elsewhere, the use of the word Tote in place of the word Handle or Rear Handle. This is a bloody Americanism and such is creeping into our vocabulary more and more. I HATE it with a passion, even more than Jacob has for hand honing! :shock:
So, do we have to always follow the ex-colonies over the pond or can we please keep our own words and phrases which are time honoured and BRITISH !!!!!! :twisted: :evil:

This was discussed recently:

#p735199

Short version; "tote" is both old, and English.

BugBear

One that annoys me is DADO its not a dado its a housing joint at least that's what city & guilds taught me.

The correct name for a handle on a plane be it a woody or metal is TOTE. Has been so for many hundreds of years. No matter what you were taught by C&G/HND etc etc it has never been named a "handle".

So why is this being challenged. Is it ignorance/ a lack of exploration to find out or merely lazyness.

The English language is pretty flexible and if you want to call it a handle then go ahead it will not be a problem. Those of us who know the real name will merely shrug, smile and get on with it.

Al

I always thought it was american "Tote that barge! / Lift that bale! / Git a little drunk, / An' you land in jail...", but yes it's an obsolete UK english word, which accounts for the fact that so many people have never heard of it until meeting it in a forum or a mag.
Handle and knob for me!

beech1948":2bqhykrn said:
The correct name for a handle on a plane be it a woody or metal is TOTE. Has been so for many hundreds of years. No matter what you were taught by C&G/HND etc etc it has never been named a "handle".

So why is this being challenged. Is it ignorance/ a lack of exploration to find out or merely lazyness.

The English language is pretty flexible and if you want to call it a handle then go ahead it will not be a problem. Those of us who know the real name will merely shrug, smile and get on with it.

Al

Well not being lazy, I have done research on the etymology of the word and every instance I can find the meaning is to carry something and the origin some say is in Viginia around 1670 ish, others say its a west african word that found its way into english from early colonization. I can see where it would change from carrying something to a name for a handle to carry something. but I still consider it not an anglo saxon base or latin root word, that is true english and in common parlence it is still considered to an american word brought into english use.
So don't bandy about insults please, it just shows your a smug twit !

tote 1 (tt)
tr.v. tot·ed, tot·ing, totes Informal
1. To haul; lug.
2. To have on one's person; pack: toting guns.
n.
1. Informal A load; a burden.
2. A tote bag.

Websters dictionary
I. transitive verb (toted; toting) Etymology: probably from an English-based creole; akin to Gullah & Krio tot to carry, of Bantu origin; akin to Kikongo -tota to pick up, Kimbundu -tuta to carry Date: 1677 1. to carry by hand ; bear on the person ; lug, pack2.haul, convey• toter noun II. nounDate: circa 1772

bugbear":n6pcqdd1 said:
This was discussed recently:

#p735199

Short version; "tote" is both old, and English.

BugBear

Quite so, and the threads are rather similar - but just in case anyone was stuck on BB's link, try this one:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post735212.html#p735212

There must be other forums where usage of words is the subject for discussion - I just hope it warms up soon so more of us can get on with doing (and discussing) some woodwork!

Here's a new data point; Holtzapffel - 1856

In the diagram, fig. 320, when the stock terminates at the dotted line, s, s, it represents the smoothing plane; when it is of the full length, and furnished with the handle or toat, it is the jack plane or panel plane; the still longer planes have the toat further removed from the iron, and it is then of the form shown in fig. 330, page 483.

BugBear

I have a feeling this will be like a sharpening thread if it goes on............ and on and on and on. (hammer)
So I now leave it never to return. :( 8)

Dangermouse":1e2jo8hz said:
Well not being lazy, I have done research on the etymology of the word and every instance I can find the meaning is to carry something and the origin some say is in Viginia around 1670 ish, others say its a west african word that found its way into english from early colonization. I can see where it would change from carrying something to a name for a handle to carry something. but I still consider it not an anglo saxon base or latin root word, that is true english and in common parlence it is still considered to an american word brought into english use.
So don't bandy about insults please, it just shows your a smug twit !

I find it amusing (in a strange sort of way) that a thread is started about Americanism's and how the OP objects to that, then spells a word in an American way. :shock:

I can't work out why the Americans use the word rabbet in wood when its a rebate :shock:

Old Norm when he's banging the sheet materials on his saw with his Dado set to cut the Rabbet!!!!!!!!!

I cut a rebate with a rebate plane I don't use a Rabbet to cut one I give them carrots instead :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also on the subject of Norm - how come he bangs on about safety "there is no more important piece of safety equipment than these safety glasses"

And he cutting boards on the saw with not guard or riving knife - where's the safety Norm lad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave

Latest posts

Back