American Table Saw on UK power

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cian

Reaction score
I see on here that a few guys have a Delta Unisaw imported from the states. Did you have any issues with our power being delivered at 50Hz instead of the US 60Hz.

Theoretically using those saws over here they should run slower rpm, reduced horsepower therefore drawing more current, overheating and burning out. Clearly not something you want after spending the kind of money.
I seen in a thread dated 2005 Seaco got one along with a few other guys, as a new member i can't PM yet, how did they over come the frequency difference? Did it not cause any issues or did they change the motors????

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

US Mains is 110 Volts...ours of course is 240. Cant you just use a regular builders tranny and then plug the saw into the tranny. You'd just need to put on the correct plug ie one of those yellow circular jobs.

Random Orbital Bob":34w9ucos said:
US Mains is 110 Volts...ours of course is 240. Cant you just use a regular builders tranny and then plug the saw into the tranny. You'd just need to put on the correct plug ie one of those yellow circular jobs.
The usa has 3 lots of power ratings.
110V for small items/ household goods. power tools
220v for bigger items such as TS etc
then like us 415v ish for hooge items

I this most machinery such as the Delta uni saw etc does only come in the 220v flavour, but some can be set to either 110/220v

Not sure i would want to run one through a tranny. For a 3hp + TS that would be a big and expensive tranny :shock:

Like Carlb40 said 220v for big items such as TS etc. I had everything sorted with a Grizzly until I googled the detailed tech specs - 3HP/1ph induction motor at 60Hz. I contacted both Grizzly and Delta and they have said none of their motors are capable of accepting power at 50Hz and warranty would be void. Grizzly very kindly sent me a link to a frequency converter but that $4000!! so not an option!

I have heard through the grapevine of people using american designed 60Hz motors at 50Hz and no bother - but i'd prefer to hear it from someone who has the experience of it.

I just really fancy an American one, but that new xcaliber looks like the business! Is it available now? From where and how much? Would be food to get a look at one.

In terms of asking Delta or Grizzly I haven't specifically asked if they could supply one with a suitable motor or even if they could supply everything minus the motor. But however unlikely that is it defines the logic of wanting an American one of you got to find your own motor and try to make it fit.

Xcaliber is distributed int he UK by Woodford. There is a new model out just about now. Ish. Tilts away from the fence, switch on the left too. CE rated. It's an American saw in all but name.
Several of us on here have its predecessor and a quick search will show that there is a very high satisfaction rating with it. Should be even higher with the new spec.
No, I'm not on commission!

sounds good to me! nothing better than solid reviews and satisfied woodworkers, looking forward to seeing it up close. Plus if it is around the £1200 mark it works out about £600 cheaper than importing.

I really cant see the problem with running a nominal 60 htz motor at 50 htz after all thats what Variable frequency drives(inverters) do all the time
It will run at 50htz sychronous speed slower than 60htz
as long as your motor voltage is 230 ish there will be no probs

the problem running at the 50Hz is the relationship between voltage and frequency is changed. although in both US and UK table saws etc are generally 220V our supply can vary between 220V & 240V, all motors can handle this flux. However because the input voltage is the same but the frequency is now lower, the primary core becomes saturated therefore it draws more current causing the unit to overheat and eventually burns out. Thats my theory knowledge of electric motors. A 50Hz designed motor would actually run at a cooler temperature at 60Hz.

Hi Cian.
In the early 2000s it was possible to spec the Unisaw motors. Delta were quite happy to supply the saws with US manufactured Marathon 50Hz motors. This was when the saws were completely manufactured in Tennessee. Once B & D bought the company they were basically just assembled in the States and used Brazilian WEG motors. Since 2011 Delta have been owned by a large Chinese tool company (and some are now assembled/built in S Carolina) so I imagine it would be quite hard to discuss frequency options with them. I used to be quite friendly with the Grizzly CEO/founder (Shiraz Balolia) and he told me they would only supply machinery with the standard motor (I was after a 12" jointer), or indeed without it, but couldn't spec a 50Hz motor. Too complicated apparently, legally and logistically.

Anyway, I've used a 60 Hz Unisaw running on 240V/50Hz and they run fine, a tad slower but no real noticeable difference. The guy that owned it just had the attitude that it may eventually fail and when that happened he'll just replace the motor with a locally sourced unit. Far as I know he had no problems. Haven't seen him for some time so no idea what happened, if anything.

You mention warranty, not really an issue. As soon as the saw leaves the US you ain't got one:). But there's not a lot can go wrong with them, they aren't too complicated and generally any problems can be overcome one way or another.

If you're dead set on a Unisaw (the older US manufactured model bought used or the current new model) go for it.
As mentioned, have a look at the Xcaliber which no doubt would be up to the job but they are a little less solid than the older US built Unisaws (I've not used the newer Unisaw).

Doesn't really answer your question but my unisaw has the 50 hz marathon motor described by Noel above. I would thoroughly recommend a unisaw if you can get one. If you can't I'd go for the xcalibar.

Mark

Thanks for the info Noel. I suppose in theory yes the motor will eventually burn out, but practically when I think about it you rarely have the table saw running for long periods of time. For safety as much as the noise, once you've made your cut or cut its switched off. So the motor only runs for short periods, so it shouldn't overheat.

My ideal saw would be either the Delta 36 L352 or a Grizzly G0691with a 52" B'fence, but I will have a look at the new xcalibur saw.
I don't suppose you selling your unisaw Mark?? :)

I ran a 220V / 60HZ (induction motor) US 'Craftsman' contractors saw for a few years without any issues but have since sold it on. I also rarely had the saw running for long periods of time.

I have also been using a 110V / 60HZ (brush motor) US Delta mitre saw for about 9 years - run via a building site type transformer. That has had fairly heavy use and is still going strong.

Back