American Power tools in the UK

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsof754

Reaction score
I have a porter cable 690 router. Does anyone know who will provide a lead from my yellow step down box to the router, without needing to remove the pr fitted plug attached to the router?

my mate has the same router,all he did was snip the plug off and put a uk 110v plug on it .think he struggled knowing which wire went where though.

I dream of bringing back a Jessem router table system from my next trip to Canada. Their fixed base router lifts look a lot sturdier than the one for a plunge router. The problem is that there is only one fixed base router available in Europe - the Bosch, which is a bit on the small side for heavy table use. Therefore I was thinking of bringing back the 3.5 Max HP EVS Milwaukee Router Table Motor marketed by JessEm specifically for table use and run it off a site transformer. I was worried about the 50hz/60hz issue, but Milwaukee answered: "Our Motors are 120 Volt AC/DC which are 20 to 60 Hz. The 110 Volt should operate the product, but Milwaukee does not offer warranty of our products outside the USA."
Does anybody have experience with running larger American routers like the Milwaukee's on 110v/50hz? Will it run slower or hot like some experts suggest, or will it be just fine as the manufacturer claims? :?:

Hi Lars,

Welcome to the forum.:D

If the Milwaukee statement: "Our Motors are 120 Volt AC/DC which are 20 to 60 Hz." is correct then the router has a universal motor, as most router do. These have brushes and the frequency of the supply should have no effect on its use.
The problems are with synchronous motors which use the input frequency to produce a rotating magnetic field.

Thanks for your quick reply, which is very encouraging. So you would expect even the electronic speed control of the router to function fine at 50hz?

I have several tools from the US (brought over with me when I moved), and have never had a problem using a "big yellow box" transformer.

A tip I'd recommend, rather than cutting off the end, just get a good quality short US extension cord (like the ones used for fridges and air conditioner), cut the male end off that and wire in the yellow 110v plug. That way, you keep the tool untouched (nice, if you ever want to get it repaired).

Also, some of the accessories use US plugs and jacks (e.g. my PC pistol grip router base has a US jack into which the router motor plugs). And variable speed (on the PC and several Bosch blue sanders) works fine.

Only one note of theoretical caution: these tools are optimised for the internal fans to cool at 60 cycles per second at a given amount of power flowing through them. When you use a simple yellow transformer, you're now putting through the same amount of power, but the fans are moving slightly slower (relative to 50 cycles per second, rather than 60... a reduction in air movement of ~15%, give or take).

So, same heat generated but 15% less cooling. It just means that the motors of high speed tools (like routers and sanders) get hot quicker. The overheat/overload safeties built into premium tools (DeWalt, Bosch, PC, etc.) should still work fine, though I've yet to have one go off.

It's not a biggie and I've never had any problems, but it's always worth being conscious of your motor's heat.

Hope that helps. -Jim

I have a 110V DW 625 and 621 both bought in the US and running from a site transformer. Powerwise 2kW at 110V draws 2000/110=18.1 Amps so make sure the transformer can cope if you fit a really beefy motor. The US made 625 is labelled 15A so it's not as powerful as a 240V machine (2000W) A big 18A yellow tsfr is expensive, so make sure you cost it in.

My US bought routers are several yrs old and all works as it should. Other lighter stuff has also performed OK, including Festool at almost 1/2 UK price. Lucky Yanks!

A company in Aberdeen (Premier Fixings) that is where they bought all there tools. then sold them over here. You would get them on site and the 1st thing you had to do was replace the socket.

hi,
I was inspired to find that US power tools could be used with site transformers, and even more inspired (or is that dismayed) to see the greater range of tools offered in the US! Do us Brits have no use for worm drive saws an such like? hmmmm.

anyway, do any of you know a US supplier that will ship to the UK, i am having trouble finding one, and with no friends in the us i have hit a stumbling block.

Any advice greatly received

cheers

Latest posts

Back