American black walnut coffee table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone please recommend a good finish for a table in walnut please?

I have osmo polyx matt already, plus a tin of a clear spray from morells-would either of these work? Does anyone have any recommendations for any other finishes? Inc waxes please.

Many thanks

John

I've done quite a few things in American Black Walnut - for my money, danish oil works a treat. Brings out the colour of the wood really nicely - it has that slight purplish tinge to it - and with maybe 4 or 5 coats it can be buffed to quite a hardwearing sheen. (A couple of examples on my flickr link in my sig...)

matthew":2ac4ljpq said:
I've done quite a few things in American Black Walnut - for my money, danish oil works a treat. Brings out the colour of the wood really nicely - it has that slight purplish tinge to it - and with maybe 4 or 5 coats it can be buffed to quite a hardwearing sheen. (A couple of examples on my flickr link in my sig...)

Some nice pieces on your flikr site. Elm pieces in particular but the Scandi mod references are very much up my street.

Modernist":6vpxa1pz said:
Some nice pieces on your flikr site. Elm pieces in particular but the Scandi mod references are very much up my street.

Many thanks for the feedback! I guess your username suggests the Scandi angle - it really appeals to me too. Been out of the workshop too long, but starting a new kitchen which I hope to have a similar theme too, and will get me back into the swing of things. If you have any links to anything you've done, I'm always glad for inspiration!

fraser":31u6uzf8 said:
How is best to apply the Danish would you say? And how about waxing after?
Your pieces look great!

One of the brands of Danish Oil - I forget which - states on the tin 'Requires no skill whatsoever' - which is why I like it, finishing is not my strong point :)

But basically you brush it on fairly liberally, leave it for maybe 10 mins to soak in, then wipe off the excess and leave a few hours to dry. Rinse and repeat. The more coats you do, and the more aggressively you buff it off, the more of a hard sheen you can get.

One variation I've used is rather than brushing on, is to apply with very fine wire wool; this denibs over the previous coat a bit, but YMMV. I've also used wax afterwards, but IMHO it's not necessary - you can get a good hard shine with the oil if you use maybe 5 coats.

And thanks for the encouragement :)

matthew":2x9g5998 said:
Modernist":2x9g5998 said:

Many thanks for the feedback! I guess your username suggests the Scandi angle - it really appeals to me too. Been out of the workshop too long, but starting a new kitchen which I hope to have a similar theme too, and will get me back into the swing of things. If you have any links to anything you've done, I'm always glad for inspiration!

My recent kitchen is here, although, as you can see I didn't build it myself.

I am a huge fan of all things Scandi, particularly Danish stuff.

A little while ago I made a "fun" tool cabinet that wasn't to everyones taste :D

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... lted+beech

http://www.woodworkuk.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=9&t=8690

Modernist":1yszbyyp said:
My recent kitchen is here, although, as you can see I didn't build it myself.
I am a huge fan of all things Scandi, particularly Danish stuff.

Ooh - very nice - you have similar mod cons to the ones I am planning. A bit jealous of your island - I plan to add a similar size one, but excavating the concrete floor to include plumbing on it is just a bit beyond the scope of this project.

Love your tool chest too! Once I finish the kitchen, I'm thinking of making a nice Danish-style armchair to replace my current *cough* Swedish *cough* one...

Latest posts

Back