Alternative to afrormosia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parquet Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
As per title what would you recommend as a readily available alternative to afrormosia.
Looking to make a stair tread that will sit adjacent to an afrormosia floor, or does anyone know a source for a piece of afrormosia approximately 1000mm x 150mm x 25-30mm in size.

Thanks in advance.

You could look at Sapele or Iroko, neither are identical but both share some of the characteristics.

I doubt you'll find Afrormosia, I haven't seen any for some while, I've a feeling it might be CITES listed which would explain its disappearance from timber yards. However, so much was used in in the 60's and 70's that I guess there's always the chance of some reclaimed stock?

Good luck.

Afrormosia, I've not seen any for a long time, you will know all this, as I recall, a member of the teak family, was predominately yellow before the sun darkened it down, green and a bit brown, I used it for shop fronts etc, we had some 15' logs cut up in our mill.
You may agree, Iroko, is about as close as you will find, I recon and easier to come across, you may find a piece not too brown, and It has similar grain, I wonder if you could bleach it!
Hope you find some.
Regards Rodders
What about this, just found it!

http://www.sykestimber.co.uk/timber/afrormosia.html

I have a fair amount of afromosia (reclaimed work tops), if you were able to post a photo with good colour match, I'll see if anything I have is similar. There's a bit of distance involved, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

Here's a link to a thread giving you an idea of what I have. If interested, I'll clean the crud off for you :)

guitar-no2-wip-im-on-a-roll-now-t69293.html?hilit=Guitar

Adam

Thanks for the replies.
Kalimna I may well be in touch over the next few days.
The floor is a reclaimed floor still to be laid, just waiting for confirmation of the order.

Blackrod I've bookmarked that link for future reference.

Thanks for all the replies.

Back