Almost

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well i almost made it three.
This one had a split most the way through.
Thought i'd got most of it out,but it ran right through to the foot which split in half. :(
But thought i would show it as it as some lovely markings. :)
Hawthorne,me last decent piece too :cry:
90mm high x 55mm dia bowl.

Paul.J.

Tough luck Paul, but think of the practice you've had. :twisted:

Bodrighy wrote.
Could you cut the foot off and make a new one out of a contrasting wood / shape to fit?
Good idea Pete.
I'll give it a go :D
Paul.J.

Like the form of that one Paul, pity about the inbuilt character feature.

Not dissimilar to the design of this one:
tn_std_P4090089.JPG

See This Forum for details

I think I would err on the side of the this example and put any stem embellishments top and bottom as opposed to in the middle but thats just personal preference.

Chas.What a lovely piece,interesting site too.
CHJ wrote.
I think I would err on the side of the this example and put any stem embellishments top and bottom as opposed to in the middle but thats just personal preference.
Mine was just an experimental piece,as most of what i do is anyway, :roll: but i see what you mean.
Paul.J.

Nice work Paul, pity about the foot but as we all know, these things happen!

The mid stem embellishment works for me... wouldn't do for us all to like the same thing... we'd end up with a very bland selection of work on here :wink:

Thanks Graham. :shock:
I take your point,but as i've said all that i'm doing at the mo are just experimental practice pieces just trying different things out.
Just makes me wonder though when my work,or any other beginners, stops being practice,experimental pieces and becomes proper pieces. :?
Paul.J.

Paul,

I like the goblet, shame about the split.
Which reminds me I need to have a go at goblets again.

Wanted to have a look at the forum Chas linked to but got:

You have been banned from this forum.
Please contact the webmaster or board administrator for more information.
:?

And I've never even been there before. Have I a reputation that has preceded me?

Anyone else get this? I expect that someone else on this IP address (at work) been a bad boy? I'll have to have a look at home.

Barry, had a similar problem with that forum, they tend to ban certain IP addresses as a whole block and yours may have been within one of those wholesale blocks... email Dennis the admin and he'll sort it out for you...

Paul... to quote the prophet, 'every egg is a bird' :lol: they're all 'proper' pieces, 'cos they're your individual expression ... as Tam and others have said, it's in the eye of the beholder :wink:

Paul.J":1sxj843s said:
Thanks Graham. :shock:
I take your point,but as i've said all that i'm doing at the mo are just experimental practice pieces just trying different things out.
Just makes me wonder though when my work,or any other beginners, stops being practice,experimental pieces and becomes proper pieces. :?
Paul.J.

I suspect never. Unless somewhere in the world there are two identical pieces of wood that react identically to the tooling and the finishing. That's what makes the work so interesting.

Pete

Back