Ally Pally tomorrow (Saturday)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
So, who is there tomorrow, where is the magic meeting place, what time and how do I recognise you all?

I will be getting the 06:09 train down from Warrington so should make AP by 09:30-10:00.

I need help in buying a Bandsaw, P/T and dust extraction so hopefully there will be plenty of willing advisors to help me spend the cash.

Cheers

Mark

TrimTheKing":odgnkdxw said:
I need help in buying a Bandsaw, P/T and dust extraction so hopefully there will be plenty of willing advisors to help me spend the cash.

Cheers

Mark

It will be fun watching you take the train home having bought those three.

Mark
We normally meet up at the Chestnut finishing products stand at 12-o-clock.
Take a look at "Rogues Gallery" at the top right of this page to get some visual clues....... :wink: :lol:
Philly :D

God that picture of me is rough. :shock:

It is no wonder I look so bad, the night before on the slash :p , got up early 6.00am 'ish from memory, three hour drive, no coffee, not a morsel to eat...

Sadly I will have to give tomorrow a miss. Hope you all have a great time and travel safely.

Cheers, Tony.

Hope you all enjoy yourself, spent a pleasant few hours there today despite having to fight the north circular to and from the M4.

In all honesty I found it rather lightweight, with plenty of open space, todays attendance was low also which made it appear even more sparse.
No brimarc presence as advertised in the layout, just Les Thorne? I think it was taking up their small space. Quite a large selection of all the big named powered equipments there so people wanting to compare offerings should do fine as long as they have deep pockets. Several Turner names giving lectures and demos, some like Mark Hancock willing to encourage and advise on the spending of pocket money on the more useful products, thanks Mark for the chat, you reinforced my own thoughts on several points and I did leave the show with just the essentials to do the razor trick and some dust generators as opposed to all that glitters.
Trend stand did not have latest Airshield visor there, said it should be there tomorrow but didn't look like there was any space allocated on their stand for it. Not that I am in the market for one yet as with the assortment of consumables I collected my old style should be good for a couple more years but it would have been nice to give it the once over.

Not a wasted day for us as it was a day out somewhere different not visited for 30+ yrs and the selection of all the usual 'turner & carver' supplying names facilitated the acquisition of one or two 'like to have' bits and pieces on the wants list.

People with any leaning towards a hand tool fetish may have a lean time I fear.

Sorry I will not be there - a trip to the Model Engineers Show a few weeks ago was enough of the North Circular for me for a while! :)

Saving myself for Yandles which also gives an opportunity to buy more wood!

Have a nice time and enjoy the bacon butties :lol:

Rod

CHJ":i9hqftck said:
Hope you all enjoy yourself...
Seconded.
CHJ":i9hqftck said:
In all honesty I found it rather lightweight...
As did I...
Bessey prices were slightly less high than usual, but the Festool stand was rather chaotic.
Freud have some good deals on their diablo cutters.

Good to see Chas and Terry :)

Take a packed lunch though...

I'll be there, jumping up and down with excitement! Last time was about five years ago. Bought my Hegner scroll saw, a dust extractor, a router table, some wood, books and lots of other odds and ends.

Driving down from Norfolk, a reasonably easy run if I remember rightly. I'll be looking at planer thicknessers, magnifiers (eyes ain't wot they used to be) and anything else that takes my fancy.

Sue

Spent an enjoyable few hours at Ally Pally today. The best part, of course, is meeting up with friends. First I saw Phil Edwards and Waka, then along came Dave S

AllyPally1.jpg

For those of you who don't know them, that's Dave S on the left, Waka in the centre and Phil.

Then along came Mark (Trim The King)

AllyPally2.jpg

I resisted all Waka's offers to help me spend my money and went for a look around instead. On the Good Woodworking stand, Andy King was giving a great demonstration of saw sharpening

AllyPally3.jpg

He was working on three saws that most people would have probably given up on, but was producing some great results. Here he's really getting stuck in

AllyPally4.jpg

He had some very useful tips. Many thanks Andy - most helpful.

I went and had a chat with Mike Hudson who, as usual, was demonstrating the complete range of Clifton planes. Couldn't really get tempted because I have most of them :shock: :lol: But it's always nice to chat to Mike - a great bloke with a wealth of knowledge about all things to do with planing.

He had a piece of camphor. When planed it smells just like Vicks Vapour Rub :shock: Must get some.

Also had a look at the Veritas stuff - must get the large shoulder plane sometime.

I had a demo of the new Record TS200C table saw. I don't have a table saw at the moment but if I get one I think the Record will be high up on my list. Plenty of adjustments to set it up precisely.

Overall a nice time, despite the ever-dwindling number of exhibitors.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul, shame I couldn't make it today, wasn't feeling up to it. If I feel ok in the morning I am planning on hatching a plan to drag the missus and baby. I just want a quick walk round and have a look at, would you believe, the T200C.

Are they doing any special offers on that saw?

WiZeR":2vz8boxs said:
Are they doing any special offers on that saw?

Yes, they are. The basic saw is £499.95 (incl. VAT) and you can get the basic saw plus extension table and wheel kit for £549.95 (incl. VAT), plus there's a free 32 tooth blade worth £29.99 and free delivery (worth £30).

If I'd had the money I would have bought one :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

cheers Paul, I just need to find where SWMBO has hidden the credit card :whistle:

Back