Allsaw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
I think thats what it is called. It's a gadget that takes two blades that sit at the front of the tool, running in opposite directions (one goes up, one goes down). I remember the ad proudly stating that it would cut tree roots out (not that I will be using one for that) amongst all other sorts of bold claims.

It is a lot of money, and I have never used one, so I wondered if anyone here has any experience of them? They are in the current catalogues, I think. Maybe £800?

Can anyone give me an idea whether or not this tool is as versatile as it looks/ claims?

Many thanks

Neil

Is that the Arbortech? I hear that mentioned a lot on here, specially by that strange lot over there, yeah those ones, the turners you know. :?

I hired one a few years ago Neil to cut a new doorway through breeze and brick.

As I remember it was very heavy, very noisy and very dusty. Didn't enjoy that job as I recall but it seemed to work pretty well!

Didn't realise they were multipurpose, thought they were just for masonry, or are you talking about what I think are alligator saws that are more like large electric carving knives ?!!!

Cheers, Paul :D

Some of the building contractors we work with use the Kango equivalent of that machine because it makes less dust than a Stihl saw or angle grinder. Very important when you are working in a building still in use like a shopping centre or a hospital.

Chems":2m3r0e5m said:
Is that the Arbortech? I hear that mentioned a lot on here, specially by that strange lot over there, yeah those ones, the turners you know. :?

most of us round siders would be using the normal arbotech (the one thats like a chainsaw chain wrapped on this disk) , i cant think of a turning application for the allsaw

(incidentally tree root wise you'd be better off with a stihl chainsaw and a root cutting adaption kit)

I'm not sure y'all know the machine I am talking about. Boz62 is right, thats the one. I am told it makes hardly ANY mess at all, as the blades move slower than a grinder blade, and rather than turn a full revolution (and spit the dust out) they move up and down fashion.

Is this the thing you have used Chisel? (sorry PaulM)? I think it is the carving knife thing you speak of! :lol:

Sorry I didn't answer so soon; my poor old Dad is unwell and I am looking out for him a bit.

Thanks for your answers, and has anyone used this specific machine?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Arbo ... 480335.htm

Thanks again

Neil

FFC - Yes mate, thats it. I like the milwaukee one too, maybe this one would be a better bet, I'd sooner buy it once and get it right, eh?

I must admit I have mixed thoughts about milwaukee; I have a jigsaw of theirs which is pants, but a mummy sized breaker that is the mutts. Do you have any experience of this machine?

Thanks mate

Neil

I've worked on a good few jobs now where the builders/brickies had them. They most times seem to hire-in for the day to do the job. Maybe the price scares them off- over £1000 + VAT. I hired a yellow Kango (same as the current Milwaukee) from HSS to do a job at home a while back. I cut out a new door opening for the kitchen. It went through double skin clinker building blocks fairly quickly although not as fast as a grinder or Stihl saw. It did make a lot less dust than you get from a 9in grinder/diamond disc or a Stihl saw, but it still made a fair amount of mess. Fortunately the it was mostly larger particles which could just be swept up and binned rather than the clouds of fine stuff which settles everywhere, so keeping occupied premises clean is possible if you use those plastic sheet walls. If you've only got a few openings to do why not hire for the day as that's a lot cheaper?

Know what you mean about Milwakee quality, but these saws were originally Kango products and every Kango tool I ever had was very robust

Back