Allen key upgrade?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen where people use knobs instead of having to use Allen keys to tighten where the blades go, is it easy to do this and how do I find out which size I’d need? I have a Proxxon DSH
Thanks

You just need to know the size of the thread, almost certainly metric so just measure the diameter and a rough idea of the pitch to check it isn't fine rather than coarse.

Ok can you explain that to me as if I’m a toddler?😳 🤣 I get the measuring bit but what’s the pitch? And is there a specific knob I need? ( sorry I’m new to scrolling and also a woman)! 😂

The pitch is the space between the threads. On imperial threads this is measured in "teeth per inch" (tpi) and on metric threads it is the direct measurement so example M6 x 1 = 6mm diameter of the screw, 1mm between each tooth on the thread. With a pair of calipers or on larger screws even just a decent ruler this is quite easy to measure.
Being proxxon the thread will be metric and probably a nice easy one. Once you know the thread you can then just search e.g M6 knob.

so It’s an M4, presumably only the length of the thread is measured when determining the length needed right? 🤦🏻‍♀️

Yes and you can always shorten a thread that is too long so if in doubt, buy a little longer.

You might be better off with allen key T wrenchs rather than trying to replace the screws, often not enough room for knobs or they end up getting in the way.

Received them yesterday but couldn’t get them to screw tight enough to hold the blade in place, I think they’re a tad too short so I’ve ordered some longer ones, hopefully they do the trick!

So just received the longer ones and they seem to be even worse!? Dunno which ones everyone else is using but not working for me 🤦🏻‍♀️

I’ve seen where people use knobs instead of having to use Allen keys to tighten where the blades go, is it easy to do this and how do I find out which size I’d need? I have a Proxxon DSH
Thanks

you will probably be able to either buy or make a T handled Allen key. It isn’t rocket science to make if you have a drill and a grinder. The fat handle one is commercial and the inspiration, the other 3 made by me about 50 years ago
1805E415-578F-4412-8306-D5589FBDD2E0.jpeg

Yeah I already have one of those that actually came with the saw but I wanted a “tool less” system 👍🏽

So just received the longer ones and they seem to be even worse!? Dunno which ones everyone else is using but not working for me 🤦🏻‍♀️

Is it possible that the screw is going into a blind hole and that your new screw is hitting the bottom before it tightens down? What length of screw are you trying? Would something like this work?

G.

Not sure I understand but I’ve added photos of the original screw and the new knobs. They just don’t tighten enough to close the gap where the blade sits.

Attachments

• 059A4CED-C854-478B-ACA0-E5D142C61CCB.jpeg
    059A4CED-C854-478B-ACA0-E5D142C61CCB.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 73
  • F3EF7A21-18A8-40AF-99E7-2C35FFD708CA.jpeg
    F3EF7A21-18A8-40AF-99E7-2C35FFD708CA.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 7C222430-5B91-402F-B0F6-F60EB120A573.jpeg
    7C222430-5B91-402F-B0F6-F60EB120A573.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 75
Now I see how it works, I think! The blade is clamped in that block by means of tightening the screw, which should close up the slit in the block. The screw should just slide through the first half of the block and then need to be turned to enter the thread on the second half of the block - so does the screw just slip through that first part of the hole? Can you take a photo from above which shows the slit in its entirety?

G.

no it goes all the way through
Edit! No you’re right it does just slip through the first part then needs to be tightened

Attachments

• 21D289FD-20AB-4224-9802-D9EF0023AC43.jpeg
    21D289FD-20AB-4224-9802-D9EF0023AC43.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I would say you cannot tighten that knob to a high enough torque to actually clamp that blade, you may well find that the plastic knob will just come away from the threaded rod if you did. What is wrong with just using the allen key so you can get it tight enough?

OK, thanks for the latest pic. What's that small silver coloured plate on the top for? Is the screw holding it on doing anything other than holding it on?

G.

I would say you cannot tighten that knob to a high enough torque to actually clamp that blade, you may well find that the plastic knob will just come away from the threaded rod if you did. What is wrong with just using the allen key so you can get it tight enough?
Since @Emt wants a no tool resolution the only answer will be a brass or steel thumb screw or a thumb turn (though the second name is almost certainly incorrect). The second has a thread with a wide end shaped to be griped between thumb and finger. The plastic headed screws are just too fragile.
4B79DD3F-C15F-4105-88D2-F95C540485F9.jpeg
19DFCA1D-F3A4-4E3A-80FD-450FF1A87D93.jpeg
1D988CD3-DA26-4348-9733-C274042BC633.jpeg

Back