All clear??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I got my bloood test results back and they were all negative? Apparently there is nothing wrong with my liver, kidneys, prostrate and I am not diabetic? I am now at a loss as to what the problem is? I am still off my food and drinking like a fish and the most worrying thing is I do not feel like working.....even in the workshop! I feel knackered most of the time and don't seem to have any energy? I can only assume it is all from the virus I had over a month ago and given my age it is taking a lot longer to get it out of my system? I was almost wishing they had found something wrong so I could do something about it, as it is I am still in the dark as to what the problem is? :?

Alan - good news on the results.

I had a virus before Xmas, and it took me about 5 weeks to get over it properly. I had just started a kitchen installation when it kicked in and within a few days I was flagging and had no energy. I reckon the install took twice as long to do as I had estimated.

Thankfully the couple were really nice about it.

Cheers

Karl

Ive certainly been there Alan. It's incredibly frustrating when these things come back as inconclusive. Obviously you're not well and you need to keep badgering them. Once you leave the GP office then they forget about you until the next time you notes drop on their desk.

I've had a virus a couple of times when its laid me low for a few months, the other thing it could be is deppression, but us men don't like to talk about that, it is very hard to talk about and very hard to admit you have it, i'm speaking from experience.

This must be very hard for you, Alan. It does sound as though it could be psychological but, does that really explain the drinking (non-alcoholic, I assume :wink:)?

I don't mean for Martin or anyone else who's suffered with Depression to take offence from this comment but, I think the D-word is one that's used all too often in today's society. Sometimes, people are just feeling down and they will recover from that. In my eyes, Depression is far worse. If you can still look at things in a positive way then, surely, you're not truly Depressed?

That's my theory anyway... I'm open to being told I'm wrong. :)

Alan, I hope you get to the bottom of all this soon as it sounds as though it could be affecting your work and your life. I had a urologist say there was nothing wrong with me a little a while ago but, I know that isn't strictly true; I just need a different set of tests (each one more gruesome and terrifying than the last! :shock: :D).

Keep on at 'em and, eventually, you'll get your answers. :)

OPJ":2q7oqr5h said:
This must be very hard for you, Alan. It does sound as though it could be psychological but, does that really explain the drinking (non-alcoholic, I assume :wink:)?

I don't mean for Martin or anyone else who's suffered with Depression to take offence from this comment but, I think the D-word is one that's used all too often in today's society. Sometimes, people are just feeling down and they will recover from that. In my eyes, Depression is far worse. If you can still look at things in a positive way then, surely, you're not truly Depressed?

That's my theory anyway... I'm open to being told I'm wrong. :)

Alan, I hope you get to the bottom of all this soon as it sounds as though it could be affecting your work and your life. I had a urologist say there was nothing wrong with me a little a while ago but, I know that isn't strictly true; I just need a different set of tests (each one more gruesome and terrifying than the last! :shock: :D).

Keep on at 'em and, eventually, you'll get your answers. :)
Its something people don't really understand until you suffer yourself, and yes it is a word thats used too often these days.

I agree with both Olly and Martin. In that Depression is a word that's over used these days but it doesn't have to be the severe desperate mood that some of us feel. Depression is such a sweeping label for a lot of different types of manifestations. What Alan is experiencing could well be a type of depression which is based around stress. Stress can cause all manner of conditions which don't show up in any of the NHS's standard fault finding.

can i just add to this with something i was reading on a mtb forum.

http://www.mtbe.co.uk//psa-just-a-little-reminder-t3335.html

it basically says that he went for a ride over the moors, had a small tumble and when back at the car checked himself over to find he had a tic having lunch...
a few other peeps reported the same etc. after reading the thread and then going to this link

http://www.singletrackworld.com/200...-wanted-to-know-and-stuff-you-wish-you-didnt/

i thought of you on here and wondered if it was worth reading about and looking into. don't wanna scare but you just never know these days.

quote from above link 1st paragraph

"There have been some posts lately about tick bites and the risk of Lyme disease. This is what Lyme has done to me…
For the last 18 months I’ve been too sick to work, doing too much would wipe me out for two days, and at my lowest ebb,
walking fifty metres uphill was doing too much. I had a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome (or ME if you prefer) which was,
I thought, the end of an active lifestyle.
At this point one finds that Incapacity Benefit pays £63 per week, and mortgage insurance covers the premiums for two years.
Lucky for me, my mortgage had just that long to run. Then reading by chance about Lyme Disease made me look into it further

I don’t actually know when I caught Lyme Disease, but it was a long time ago. I believe I had the first symptoms in 1979
but couldn’t get my GP at the time to take them seriously. Being so much younger then, I was into rock climbing and hill walking,
which made me high risk, though I didn’t know it.

Then about ten years ago it began to get worse, but again my GP couldn’t help. I just decided that I had to live with it.
Symptoms then were swollen & sensitive neck glands, headaches, night sweats, odd fevers, bad throat and generally not firing on all cylinders.
I still enjoyed riding, but would suffer two days later,
and never gained much in fitness despite trying to build up gradually.

When I started to deteriorate, about ‘98 or ‘99, my GP got interested and started running tests. I’d worked abroad quite a lot, and so had he,
so he was interested and willing to follow leads.
By this time I had the belief that some malaise was hiding in some dark corner within me, coming out and attacking me whenever I was sick or overtired.
Of course, by the time I actually got to see my doctor, it was over, nothing to see.
Then in 2000 I came home from working in the Far East, bringing with me a virus that promptly put me into hospital.
I think that was a turning point, the Lyme infection becoming progressively more serious from then on,
until it reached the point where working for a living was no longer an option."

sorry if this is miles off base but like you said they have looked at lots of things and said your fine but you know otherwise...

Allan,

Whan you first described your symptoms I recognised a number caused by stress. On another post you told us about what was happening at work.

If its not diabetes, I reckon its stress.
I'm not just theorising here a number of years ago I worked for the managers from hell and had many symptoms you describe.

Constant " I'm going down with flu" attacks
The hot sweats (soaking the bed) in the night, I seriously thought I had malaria
Mouth ulcers for months on end
Depression, at one time I was planning to kill my brother as I was convinced he was after my wife.

Changed jobs & am now as right as rain

That was my take as well

I'm under a fair degree of stress at the moment too , and i recognise most of those symptoms that lurker mentions - tho i'm not planning on killing anyone :D

headaches, mouth ulcers, constant lethargy, chills etc - its a stress reaction.

..and what's more there's naff all you can do about it. Whoever invented the human body was incompetent.

Em...hate to tell you this folks, but, the human body is designed to last about 30 years - anything past that, without medical issues, is a bonus.

Without surgical intervention I would have died when I was 26. When I checked this theory out with friends most of them had, or knew of a close relative who had, a medical situation that would have meant their death before 30 without medical help.

If you have a think through your own, family, and friends' medical history you might be surprised at how many were lucky to make it past 30.

Brendan

Doctors only guess. Tests and results tell them very little. Sadly, the real world is not 'House' and clear blood tests mean little in my experience

Note that chronic stress does give rise to readily identifiable clinical signs, which I would have expected your tests to highlight. It is not 'just' mentally debillitating.

Hi Mailee

Sorry to hear about your results.
I had the same about 6 years ago went through hell for 2 years trying to find out what was wrong with me. I went from working in a very big kitchen doing a job i loved all be it long hours.
I caught a virus "Pericarditis " (basically a cold around your heart).
Sounds serious but nothing to bad after some R and R.

Did not want to be the first to mention M.E as it can be a very worrying thing to come to terms with, but as Yo_Chuci gave a very clear and thought out answer i thought i'd add to it.

I have M.E :( it took me two full years to find out what it was that was actually wrong with me. I thought it must be in my head as all the tests came back negative, i tell you i could have been mistaken for a damn drug addict with all the holes they put in me :evil:.

The one thing that makes it so hard to diagnose is simply you can't, they have to rule out everything else first then you end up with M.E.
Although hearing about Lyme disease as i have spent and do spend quite a lot of time in France as swmbo is french. So thanks to Yo_Chuci for putting that up might be worth looking into a bit more.

The main thing is don't let what ever it is get you down, more easily said than done.

Also one thing i will mention is the NHS may be ok where you are but my area it seems is hopeless i ended up going private and paying £250 to find out what was wrong with me. If your in doubt and your doctor is either unhelpful or the hospital then if at all possible get a private assessment.
May sound like a lot for an hour but after thinking i was going crazy and looking online for everything that could be wrong with me (it was my heart that started it all off so i was looking in the wrong place anyway) it felt like a weight had been lifted to finally know.

Martin

Latest posts

Back