Aldi woodworking tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Disposable tools, what a great idea.

I was alway taught, you get what you pay for, but if the hat fits.........!!!

stevebuk":u4cvff6o said:
wonder if the router table would be any good?

Not really. Many people here have had this router table. It's ok but the general consensus is usually that the NVR switch is all it's good for. Bearing that in mind, you won't waste any money on it (assuming you eventually build your own, superior, table).

stevebuk":1be718b2 said:
wonder if the router table would be any good?

Its bad. If its the same as the last promo I could never get router properly fitted to a useable depth.

Rumour has it the biscuit jointer is pretty shocking.

I seem to remember hearing good things about the router but can't say for sure.

I bought a set of four chisels from them last week for £4.99 and they were very poorly finished. They needed a lot of grinding before they were usable.

I also bought one of their router tables a couple of years back and left it unopened until the day I would need an NVR switch. When that day came, I opened the box and found the NVR switch was broken. Moreover, the table was absolutely useless for routing - much too flimsy.

Gill

Gill - did you still have the reciept? I'd imagine the 3 year warranty would cover that without quibble.

I bought both the router & Bj when they dropped the price to £12 each at my local Aldi (would not sell). Thought at that price they would be OK for parts if nothing else.

The BJ I have not used yet, but the router is quite a good machine, am rather impressed with it actually. It takes 1/4" & the next size MM up.

Those router bit kits are also worth having even if just for the collets. Semi disposable but so what at that price!! have used a few for routing some aluminium.

I picked up the BJ when it was some crazily low price - actually seems to work reasonably well if you ask me.
swmbo got me the router table and you're right the only useful thing on it is the NVR which will be incorporated into my own table when I get around to building it.

Was wondering about the BJ too. Problem here is that the nearest Aldi is quite a few pounds of diesel away, so if they are cr**, it's not worth the trip.
I've got a really old pivoting body Elu BJ, but don't have the 45degree fence for it, so thought the Aldi one might be OK for mitred joints. Or can it not do those anyway?

I've just bought one of the Aldi biscuit jointers.

It's going back.

The fence wiggles all over the place even with the 'locking knob' tightened as far as I can get it. The height adjustment changes with each use as well. Made 3 grooves each differing in height by as much as 2mm. :evil:

I'm not sure how 'proper' versions of this are supposed to be, but this one is essentially an angle grinder with a toothed blade and a fence. Horrible thing (and I usually stick up for cheap tools :lol: ) :evil:

[/rant]

I have to admit to being a cheapskate and consequently appreciate Aldi tools. I bought their biscuit jointer and found the second one ok after some adjustment, as described in the “Aldi offers 9th October 2008” thread. I also have their router and router table. The Aldi router I bought last year is good enough at the price and I found it to be much better than the Screwfix equivalent, I have them both :wink: I accept that neither will last as long as my old Bosch router but they were much cheaper and I won’t be upset if lost, stolen or dropped onto the concrete floor!

The Aldi router table, also bought last year, is not very good the legs and wings being a bit light and flimsy pressed steel. However, the aluminium plate itself I found to be adequately stiff and flat and the NVR switch works well. I found fitting the router to the plate fiddly but secure once in place. It is ok if it is going to be a semi permanent installation but a pain if you frequently need to use the router freehand. The fence is poor, plastic and not straight! Despite all its faults I reckon that it may be worth buying the current offering as a source of parts for fitting into a better shop made stand. The plate, NVR switch and feather boards would cost more elsewhere. When I have time I will let the plate into a piece of laminate faced worktop to make a bigger heavier router table. Until then I use the Aldi table well clamped to my workbench which makes it very useable. One good thing is that it is very light to move around, helpful when you don’t have enough bench space.

I didn’t think much of the router bit set. I may be unlucky but the tip of one of the bits chipped off the first time I used it. None of my other bits have lost parts of the carbide cutter.

This week I bought a set of five Aldi forstner bits for £2.99. I was a bit dubious but tried them and found all cut nice neat and clean holes in both a piece of Larch and a piece of Beech. They are only carbon steel and require a fair bit of pressure to cut but didn’t heat up. As I am not likely to use them frequently they seemed worth buying at not much more than the price of a pint. When I wear one out I will replace it with a good one. I did shy away from the plug cutters also on offer as cheap ones (Am-Tech) I was given a few years ago quickly heated up and lost their edge. If any one is brave enough to try the Aldi ones I would be interested to know if they prove ok

Regards

Graham

Yesterday I bought the Aldi Router. Found it to be solid so far. Well made and you get all the accessories too: fence, 3 collets, wrench, guide, extraction nozzle. I'll give it some greif at the weekend.

Also bought the Forstner bits for £2.99. They come in a plaggy case which got cast aside. Each bit has a plastic protecting cap. Seem ok but I'm yet to try them properly

Latest posts

Back