Aldi chisels at Lidl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhossydd

Established Member
Reaction score
The cheap chisels that come up at Aldi as specials a couple of times a year are well respected by some people here.
If you've put off getting any because you don't have an Aldi near you, but do have Lidl, pop in on Monday 10th November. It looks like they're offering exactly the same thing too:-
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... l&id=17818

i recently heard about the hype concerning these chisels and got a set just for fun. after watching paul sellers tutorial on these and atchally having a go with them i can safely say they are a bargain. we all need general purpose chisels. not as nice as my robert sorbs or ashly lies but good all rounders. so good i got a second set. these make fantastic skewed chisels and very cheap. only down side is the lands are a bit chunky for fine work but like i say general stuff... perfect
TT

Following the recommendations on this forum and after watching Paul Sellers video I also bought a set a couple of weeks ago. I've used them several times and feel it's money very well spent indeed and I'm certainly pleased I bought them. It's also suppressed my lust over the Veritas PMV-11 ones which I definitely couldn't afford anyway.

I wonder if that Tap & Die set is worth a try.

JJ1":w55lrbr6 said:
I wonder if that Tap & Die set is worth a try.
I bought one a couple of years ago and it works, but it doesn't seem the sort of kit that would be useful for much serious work.
Just handy to have on the shelf for an occasional jig or similar.

Can't lay my hands on them at the moment but I think those Tap sets are carbon steel rather than HSS so may not keep an edge as long. Ok for the odd job.

Thanks for the info on the Tap & Die set. It's just something that would be useful to have around for occasional use so I wouldn't be expecting too much from it.

personally, I prefer to buy a decent set (first, second and bottom) of taps as and when I need them from ebay. Presto, Volkel and Dormer are all reasonably priced, and if you are considering the lidl/aldi set, you are probably only likely to use a couple of sizes (probably only m6!). One of these taps will last me for years.

If you are only tapping soft metal or wood, the aldi/lidl set would do.

marcros":15px7dk4 said:
personally, I prefer to buy a decent set (first, second and bottom) of taps as and when I need them from ebay. Presto, Volkel and Dormer are all reasonably priced, and if you are considering the lidl/aldi set, you are probably only likely to use a couple of sizes (probably only m6!). One of these taps will last me for years.

If you are only tapping soft metal or wood, the aldi/lidl set would do.

If you're careful and not too aggressive the Lidl set is fine. I'm sure I've gone through all sizes over the last few years. A godsend in an emergency and good for general maintenance tasks such as cleaning up threads etc.

I bought a set ages ago and they are good for grinding into specials

Getting a bit expensive now though at 2quid a chisel
:lol:

Called in at our local Lidl today on the off chance they still had some . . . . . loads there, so had to buy a set. I haven't had a close look but they seem very similar to a Mifer 10mm I picked up from somewhere, it doesn't look very classy but but it's a good little chisel.

Back