Aldi chisel quality

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
transatlantic":3861h42e said:
Chris":3861h42e said:
I found this with Quangsheng planes a few years back. The ones from Workshop Heaven were a higher spec. than those from Rutlands. Isn't buy stuff tricky :)

Chris

That is just wrong and should be banned!

I'm sure you're all aware of the cheapo planer thicknesser that is sold by a number of brands (Titan, Erbauer, Sip, Charnwood, Lumberjocks, Draper, Rutlands, Scheppach, Powerplus, Clarke etc etc). It's a common misconception that it is the same tool just rebadged and priced differently, which is clearly incorrect as there are noticable differences to things like the fence and casing. But it would be really interesting to see the differences inside. Are they the same design? same components? .. I'd guess they must use better quality components, but just how much better?
It also means than putting lots of effort into finding out which manufacturer a branded item "really" comes from may be a waste of time.

I know that Lee Valley(*) outsource some of their manufacture, and may well choose a different manufacturer from year to year.

But the reputation you're banking on (and the warranty...) is Lee Valley.

BugBear

(*) as does Ron Hock, for those that know the name

Both the chisels are from Lidl, as mentioned "Powerfix" is used by Lidl whereas Aldi uses "Workzone".

I think the last couple of times when Lidl had them, they had beech handles, before that they were ash and before that hornbeam. I've got the ones with ash handles from Lidl and also Aldi and I think they are the same chisel.

I had a quick look at the beech ones when Lidl had them (but didn't buy) and they looked the same as previous versions except for the beech handle. Maybe they were diffferent and I didn't notice. It might be the OP's chisel is a one-off.

As for the Ashley Iles chisels, I'm sure they are "better" but they cost 10-15 times the price!

Narex chisels are very good and not really an arm and leg for a set.....and they do come up on offer..

transatlantic":3qnqr34r said:
Chris":3qnqr34r said:
I found this with Quangsheng planes a few years back. The ones from Workshop Heaven were a higher spec. than those from Rutlands. Isn't buy stuff tricky :)

Chris

I'm sure you're all aware of the cheapo planer thicknesser that is sold by a number of brands (Titan, Erbauer, Sip, Charnwood, Lumberjocks, Draper, Rutlands, Scheppach, Powerplus, Clarke etc etc). It's a common misconception that it is the same tool just rebadged and priced differently, which is clearly incorrect as there are noticable differences to things like the fence and casing. But it would be really interesting to see the differences inside. Are they the same design? same components? .. I'd guess they must use better quality components, but just how much better?

In all fairness the Workshop Heaven Quengsheng stuff is branded differently to Rutlands which is listed as "Qiangsheng Luban". Someone may correct me, but there doesn't seem to be big differences in quality, just the Workshop Heaven spec is nicer.

Bodgers":2omjkc3q said:
transatlantic":2omjkc3q said:
Chris":2omjkc3q said:

Chris

In all fairness the Workshop Heaven Quengsheng stuff is branded differently to Rutlands which is listed as "Qiangsheng Luban". Someone may correct me, but there doesn't seem to be big differences in quality, just the Workshop Heaven spec is nicer.

My comment was related to the planes some years ago, not sure if they were differentiated then and don't have much experience of them now. It was a while ago now but I think it was to do with the quality of the lateral adjustment lever. I posted about it here but can't find the post.

Chris

Latest posts

Back