Aldel's Universal Workholder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
Sometime ago Aldel asked me to draw up his WoodRat Universal Workholder in SU. I finally got around to it and here it is. I haven't actually tried his work holder on my Rat but it looks like it would be extremely useful. I imagine easier to use than the mitre box.

woodratcarriagemod.jpg

Just another lousy photo - Dave you really ought to ask Canon for your money back :wink:

Aldel,
Can you provide a link to an explanation of how it works please?

Thanks for posting the diagram Dave.
At the very least I must investigate replacing the plastic "jaws" on my 'Rat because they flex (and provide a poor surface for additional clamping support when cutting finger joints for example). The sturdy wood blocks look just the job - I was considering alloy angle.
Regarding this workholder, which is a brilliant idea, I am not so sure about holding thin stock "end on", where my instinct tells me the stock would try to buckle up or down - but then I haven't tried it out.

Bob

Dave,

Wow! What a superb job you have done! Thanks very much indeed. The mirror idea is great and you have drawn it in a very masterly way.

The article was posted rather quickly after having one of those eureka moments and just used the parts to hand. None of the measurements are critical. I found the wood fence to be excellent and the longer length gives extra grip and stability onto longer boards. (and its cheap!) The left plywood cheek face is quick to unbolt.
The sacrificial cheek holding method with Tee nuts was so that replacement cheeks would be very quick and simple to replace requiring just a plain slot.
The MDF cheeks will hold large circular rod if you cut a trench in both. Great for cutting sliding dovetails in the end of round table or chair legs.

Originally the idea was for holding smaller pieces horizontally. It is no problem at all to support longer and thin work with a piece of wood underneath. The supporting piece needs to be the same length (or width) as the work and can be held either horizontally or vertical as needed.

Dave, thanks again for taking the time and trouble.

Aldel

Due to the fact I'm SketchUp illiterate, I had to make a real one:

Not a thing of beauty (I don't have such posh off-cuts!) but it does indeed work a treat. I decided to butcher the existing stop rather than make a wooden one, 'cos it's solid enough and my 'Rat's got more holes in it that a string vest anyway. Need to do something instead of the wing nuts, but they work well enough for the time being.

Muchos gracias, Aldel. =D> \:D/

Cheers, Alf

Hi Ali,

Nice one! Are you finding any flex on the left fixed fence with it attached to the alloy one? Very interested to know how you made the part that slides in the carriage.

cheers, Aldel

No flex so far, in fact it's surprisingly rigid. But I've not used it that much yet.. I thought I try the easy way first, assuming I'd end up making a wooden one eventually anyway.

The sliding part is a couple of bits of foam board(?) cadged off a signmaker (planes beautifully, by-the-by) stuck together with superglue and screwed on the back. Well and a couple of washers to get the fit right. Not sure how long the foam board will last, but there's plenty more and it doesn't take long to run up another if required. Not-a-good-picture here.

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Ali,

Excellent photos.

Never thought of the foam board and I have easy access to that ............ I will scrounge some too. The whole thing is easy to make and it has simplified a number of workholding problems for me.
I notice your sacrificial fences have been err sacrificed already!

Pleased to know that it works with an alloy fence too.

Good stuff and pleased to see that you are on good terms with the 'Rat again.
:D aldel

Hi All,
I'm just getting back into the swing of things with my LittleRat and wondered if anyone could send me a copy/image of Aldel's universal workholder, please, to help me with a project I'm currently contemplating.
Regards
Phil

Bgoat, I made Aldel's holder for my Woodrat, see photo:
Woodrat universal holder-400.jpg
Unfortunately Aldel's website has disappeared & I have lost the description.
I can send you sketches & notes if that's any help.

Attachments

• Woodrat universal holder-400.jpg
    Woodrat universal holder-400.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 161
Hi, I'm not getting any of your images apart from the last one, and the Aldel link comes up as forbidden! Is it me or you?

peter-harrison":1dczaitz said:
Hi, I'm not getting any of your images apart from the last one, and the Aldel link comes up as forbidden! Is it me or you?

The original post was in 2006 - did they even have the internet then?

Hi PhilM, Thanks for the photo; that's just what I'm looking for. Yes, I'd really appreciate if you could send me copies of your sketches and notes.
Regards,
Phil (Yes, I'm a Phil too! :D )

Latest posts

Back