Airless sprayer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought an airless sprayer, as the HVLP earlex i got isn't cutting it on the masonary paint - and the job needs to be done

Didn't by a Graco or Titan, just a cheapy airless, with a 490 tip, that can drink straight from the tin

I have to do quite a bit of spraying (correct that - my wife has to do a lot of spraying) if you want to work with those cheap HVLP (reverse hoovers) you need to thin it a lot, so you have to go over and over

Hopefully it will do the job, this one goes to 190bar

Its just like a pressure washer, but then with paint

Mcluma":2ymr786i said:
Yesterday I bought an airless sprayer, as the HVLP earlex i got isn't cutting it on the masonary paint - and the job needs to be done

Didn't by a Graco or Titan, just a cheapy airless, with a 490 tip, that can drink straight from the tin

I have to do quite a bit of spraying (correct that - my wife has to do a lot of spraying) if you want to work with those cheap HVLP (reverse hoovers) you need to thin it a lot, so you have to go over and over

Hopefully it will do the job, this one goes to 190bar

Its just like a pressure washer, but then with paint

Yeah - I got one too, a Wagner - impressive beast it is.

http://www.airblast.com/Tip%20Selector.pdf - don't you mean a 419 tip? The 4 relates to the fan height (and is typically stated as the distance from the tip to the fan - i.e. the fan is twice the number, which is stated in inches). The 19 is the hole in the tip, stated in Thou.

HIH

Dibs

p.s. get some inline gun filters - make life so much easier.

Have either of you had any experience of using these to spray emulsion inside a house ? I am in the process of buying a new house that needs loads of work and will need to decorate every room. I can't face having to roller or brush everywhere and was thinking about hiring or buying an airless system.

Thanks

Paul

Paulg":10rqk0t2 said:
Have either of you had any experience of using these to spray emulsion inside a house ? I am in the process of buying a new house that needs loads of work and will need to decorate every room. I can't face having to roller or brush everywhere and was thinking about hiring or buying an airless system.

Thanks

Paul

I remember a thread got onto this about 6-12 months ago - I think that the generally held view was that all the masking off which needed to be done meant that the roller was actually faster. Have a search and see if I've got the wrong end of the stick :)

Miles

I've used one when I refurbed a basement for someone - exposed brickwork that needed to be sealed then painted, would have taken ages with a roller because of all the nooks and crannies in the bricks. The sprayer worked very well with the gloppy eco-friendly emulsion the customer provided (still needed thinning down though) but there's no way I'd use one in a house with carpet down etc.. If you could clear the room and seal it up completely then maybe, but as Miles said above, with the amount of masking you'd normally have to do then there's no real benefit time-wise IMO.

HTH Pete

Thanks. I did have a look for a thread before posting as I too remembered something about it. The ones I found were mostly about HVLP which as I understand causes quite a bit of overspray / lingering paint in the air whereas the airless is supposed to be better for those 2 issues.

I have read lots of forums saying exactly the same about the time to mask up, and lots of people saying that a roller is quicker, but very few people who have used them saying that they were naff. Mostly it looks like people who haven't used them putting them down. I just wondered if anyone had actually tried it.

The house would be empty. Lots of plastering downstairs to do because of damp so the carpets would be up too.

Paul

Paul

I'd probably mask parts off anyway - it's not like it takes an hour or so. I suspect an average sized living room could be masked off in 15mins or less. An airless sprayer would do a room far quicker than a roller and if you really wanted to use a roller - they can also be fitted to an airless sprayer - you then get the advantage of auto fed paint. For a small'ish room, a roller would be quicker - but there is a point (in terms of room size) wherease an airless sprayer would beat a roller dead. Even if it was a series of small rooms - but all the same colour - it would be no contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU1GCrAo ... re=related might give you an idea of the overspray and just how quick they are.

Over the pond - as the houses are also far bigger - airless sprayers are very common (certainly amongst the pro's).

HIH

Dibs

Back