Airing cupboard problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatknot

Established Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year we finally got central heating, previously our hot water was immersion heater, the hot tank being in the airing cupboard

As it now has a combi boiler there is no hot water to warm the airing cupboard

How do others go on without an airing cupboard or a heat source in it

Are there other options ?

Just wondering how others air clothes under the same circumstances

Thanks for the thought

Its a lot of expense to put a rad in there

The humidifier would obviously have to be elsewhere, other than the airing cupboard

Surely there must be a way given the number of combis out there

Mark A":n3vaape8 said:
Either fit a small radiator in the airing cupboard, or use a dehumidifier.

i fitted a electric tube heater in our airing cupboard when we had a combi boiler fitted.
Works brilliantly, I had the emersion supply converted to a timer switch which controls the tube heater

Thank you that does sound like a better option

Annoyingly I sold the fairly new tank and immersion timer

But they are cheap enough

Any idea what the make of the tube heater was ?

Homers double":3tgocdb9 said:
i fitted a electric tube heater in our airing cupboard when we had a combi boiler fitted.
Works brilliantly, I had the emersion supply converted to a timer switch which controls the tube heater

I just had a look at some tube heaters, there are quite a few and they range in wattage quite a bit, I wonder what would be best wattage wise

I got a dimplex 80watt tube heater, it’s 80mm long, it was about £20, that was a couple of years ago though,
It keeps the cupboard just warm, the wife is happy with the way it operates which is a bonus

Our airing cupboard is only 1m wide, 600mm deep and 2.1m high. Just to give you a size comparison.
It comes on 3 times a day for 3 hrs each time

Thanks for that

I was literally just looking at the 80w on Amazon

Sounds innocuous but if left on 24/7 its about £87 a year, so a timer is a definite requirement

Homers double":951b3dir said:
I got a dimplex 80watt tube heater, it’s 80mm long, it was about £20, that was a couple of years ago though,
It just keeps the cupboard just warm, the wife is happy with the way it operates which is a bonus

Yes ours is about the same

9 hours a day sounds about right

Homers double":jg6scoo0 said:
Our airing cupboard is only 1m wide, 600mm deep and 2.1m high. Just to give you a size comparison.
It comes on 3 times a day for 3 hrs each time

I think those tube heaters are all the same. I got mine, for dehumidifying the tool drawers in the garage/workshop, from Toolstation (probably cheaper than Amazon). You can wire them in parallel if you need more heat.

There's no mystery to electrical heaters. Irrespective of the way they work, the wattage is always the rate of heat output. The only exception is the "infra-red" sort, which oddly waste some heat as light! Tube heaters are good for the airing cupboard task, as they're pretty safe, and won't, for example, burst into flames if something falls onto them.

I bought a tube heater for my shed and it's got a turn dial thermostat on it. I imagine when it gets up to temp it'll just turn itself off.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not sure how you would 'air' clothes when they are folded up in a cupboard ? Putting a heater in there is only going to keep them warm and surely if they are dry before you put them away you don't need to keep them warm.

Andy

We did nothing - just left the storage above the tank and didn't notice any difference
The immersion tank was lagged with sprayed poly so didn't produce much heat anyway

Brian

Ours was also fully lagged, and the last one was only a year old, but still it produced a gentle warmth and the airing cupboard worked as it was expected to

We removed the tank and sold it on, the resulting space was very welcome but lacked the gentle warmth of the hot water tank

And we have missed it, I guess having always had an airing cupboard in every house we have lived in, its hard to start over without one, you can put things on radiators to air but who wants that around the house

finneyb":3jld6h6o said:
We did nothing - just left the storage above the tank and didn't notice any difference
The immersion tank was lagged with sprayed poly so didn't produce much heat anyway

Brian

The airing cupboard in every home we have had, has worked perfectly well, up until now

I can assure you its a very useful facility

andersonec":xo3bnngv said:
Not sure how you would 'air' clothes when they are folded up in a cupboard ? Putting a heater in there is only going to keep them warm and surely if they are dry before you put them away you don't need to keep them warm.

Andy

Fully conversant with the subject of heat output, something ironically which is hotly debated very often on forums and mailing lists ;-)

I had a check around, Toolstation only do a 60watt at £17, screwfix do an 80w at £27, so at present Amazon is the cheaper at £21

That and a timer for about a tenner makes it a reasonable solution, I can fit them in situ and a sparky to wire it (as its in the bathroom under regs)

Eric The Viking":1bmghfln said:
I think those tube heaters are all the same. I got mine, for dehumidifying the tool drawers in the garage/workshop, from Toolstation (probably cheaper than Amazon). You can wire them in parallel if you need more heat.

There's no mystery to electrical heaters. Irrespective of the way they work, the wattage is always the rate of heat output. The only exception is the "infra-red" sort, which oddly waste some heat as light! Tube heaters are good for the airing cupboard task, as they're pretty safe, and won't, for example, burst into flames if something falls onto them.

Back