Air tools vs mains powered tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered this.

Why do garages , bodyshops, etc use air powered hand tools as opposed to mains powered ones and workshops usually use mains powered hand tools? Is there difference in power, durability between the 2 to explain why 1 is good for automotive work and the other one more suited for workshop use?

Hi again Scooby

I would think it is because of having an electric lead a round with oil or petrol :shock: :)

Also because body-shops tend to have large compressors for spraying so they can accommodate the air tools. Most wood-workers only have small compressors suitable nail-guns so wouldn't be able to use air tools which require high volumes of air to run for any useful length of time.

I have worked in a car bodyshop for about 6 years doing almost all the jobs that needed done (never tried my hand at welding which I regret now). With spraying there is a lot of moving around when giving a car a full respray so having one power lead is a great advantage, a lead that is durable, any length you want and which has no plug on the end of it and most of all its safe.

The tools themselves were of very high quality, I suppose since an air tool has no electrics the manufacturer can concentrate the costs on quality, but then again the boss only bought good stuff. I remember him raving about CP (Chicago Pneumatic). All the sprayguns were Devilbiss. They made spraying so enjoyable.
In the six years I was there the tools were used day in day out and gave very little bother. Looking back now it was so quick to change from one tool to another.

I've always used a lot of air tools - mainly drills, nail guns, and sanders. However, owing to the developments in cordless technology over the last few years my use of air drills is now pretty well limited to pocket hole drilling and polishing waxed finishes with a rotary brush, where extra power is needed.

My Festool ROS does a much better job than the old air sanders meaning that the only tool in the workshop for which air is King is...

... the brad nailer :lol:

Rgds
Brad

Nearly all our sanders and smaller drills are all air powered. Up from that are the cordless drill/drivers. I can't remember the last time i saw a mains powered sander or drill in here.

If you have a compressor large enough air tools are superb. They are much more durable and reliable than the equivalent electric tools, they are generally a lot lighter and workshop quality (as opposed to industrial) cost the same or less. There are also some machines availanle in pneumatic which are prohibitively expensive in electric (e.g. straight line sanders). Downsides are the size of the hoses you need to drag around and the fact that they need to be oilde, which can leave an oil mist on work (leading to finishing problems with some lacquers/water-based products) unless the exhaust can be vented away from the piece. Overall, though, for volume screwing, drilling, etc they are a lot faster than the equivalent electric tools

Scrit

Back