Air sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I worked on a contract to refurbish all the Jubilee line carriages. i sanded all the paint off the doors for 40 carriages using air sanders and the only con and it is a big one is that you get really sensitized fingers to cold. My fingers used to go numb using the sander and I had to get some of the little hand warmers to put inside my gloves to be able to work all day.

Years later I am still aware that my fingers tend to seize up when its cold now
I have used air and electric for years in joinery works. As you say the only downside I feel is that air tools are cold to use for any length of time.

Its more a question of whether you can use regular sanding disks or the Mirka abranet system. Vacuum extraction is essential sanding wood and the Abranet system is by far the best. I can sand ebony and maple side by side with absolutely no dust contamination.
So its worth saving up for the Mirka Deros or a second hand Ceros which is sadly discontinued.

Thanks for that RobinBHM, this is appreciated. I'm already using Festool ETS and RO sanders so this is reassuring. One of my main aims is dust collection so will look at this further.

I got the festool rotex six inch thingy recently. I absolutely love it.
Couldn’t imagine wanting to move to air after using that sander!

Back