Air Filters help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, As anyone got a Microlene MC420 or a Record AC400 air filter and could help me decide on which one would be the best for my workshop which is 7mx2.5mx2,5m please, Olwyn

I cannot help with the MC420, I looked at it but prefered the shape and size of the MC760. That works very well and clears my ( a little bigger than yours) workshop of airbourne dust a treat. It is rather noisy though.

I have both the Microclene 420 and the Jet equivalent of the Record one.
I find the Microclene much more effective, although it is a lot noisier.

I did quite a lot of reading about air filters a few months ago.

The AC400 has two layers of filters and the inner one is quoted as 85% effectiveness at trapping particles of 1 micron and below. Its big brother the AC2 has three layers of filters and claims 91% effectiveness on particles of 1 micron and below.

In the end I went for the MC760.

I use MDF quite a lot, so as it only comes as standard with a G4 single filter quoted as 65% effective for particles of 1 micron and below I've added an F9 filter from Jasun (Part number UPC911212) behind that to give 95% effectiveness at particles of 0.6 microns and below.

The MC760 has the capacity to filter 760 cubic metres of air per hour and Acrol, the manufacturers of Microclene air filters state that the MC760 is suitable for rooms up to 76 cubic metres. This is erring on the side of caution compared to COSHE advice to change the air in a dusty workshop 6 times an hour.

It looks like your workshop is about 44 cubic meters so you need 440 cubic meters per hour air flow to change the air 10 times.

When I spoke to Ron at Acrol he estimated that air flow would be around 400 cubic metres per hour with both G4 and F9 filters fitted, or 460 cubic metres per hour with only the F9 filter fitted.

He didn't really see the point of using the G4 as well, but I retained it to improve the life of the F9 and because my workshop is only 2.5m x 3m x 2m. I think if I had a bigger workshop I'd probably leave off the G4 to ensure the air flow isn't too marginal.

There's some more information in this post on my blog and a couple it links to - http://aggravatedwoodbutchery.wordpress.com/2012/05/28/upgrading-the-microclene-mc760/

Hope this helps

John

Thanks John Graham and John for your help a mate as just phoned me to say he is dropping his 420 off tomorrow to let me try over the weekend his workshop is about the same size as mine so i'am now looking forward to trying it. Thanks again Olwyn

Back